Prospective graduate students apply to study in the NERS department through the Rackham Online Application. Paper materials are not accepted, and please do not send any paper documents to the department. In all communications with NERS graduate admissions, please enter your name in the subject line.
NERS faculty review the applications and accept students based on the following:
- An online application and application fee
- Applications accepted starting September 1st.
- Terms of enrollment are Fall (September) and Winter (January)
- Late application material will be accepted and may be considered.
- Submitted through online application:
- Three letters of recommendation
- Academic statement of purpose
- Personal statement
- Official transcripts from institutions at which you will earn or earned a BS/E and/or MS/E. Do not include your high school or community college transcripts. If your BS and/or MS is in progress, please include that transcript in your application upload. Rackham must have an official transcript sent university to university in order for GPA to be posted. International students must include native language and English translation of transcripts, diplomas, certificates, etc. Send these directly to Rackham (address below).
- Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA): 3.5/4.0 scale
- Send to: Rackham Graduate School Attn: Transcripts/U-M ID# (if known) and date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy) 915 E. Washington Street Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070 USA
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general exam:
- The general GRE is required for all PHD applications. No exceptions. A subject test is not required.
- The GRE is not required for MS applications, however, it is strongly recommended.
- The ETS Graduate Record Exam code is Rackham 1839.
- Minimum GRE score requirement is based on percentages of students that passed that particular exam on that date. In general, a minimum score for Quantitative ~80-85 percentile; 4.0/6.0 for Analytical Writing; and ~60 percentile for Verbal.
- TOEFL for international students (if degree not from English speaking institution)
- Minimum TOEFL score requirements: CBT 220; Paper 560; iBT > 84; 69 engineering-other
- Expires 2 years from exam date
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery is accepted as an alternative to TOEFL
- For more information visit Rackham's web site for students whose native language is not English
Admission Questions? NERS-Grad-Admissions@umich.edu