Details and helpful tips

The University of Michigan is open to prospective students from all walks of life — whether you’re coming straight from high school, transferring from another college, another part of U-M, or even from another country. This page is designed to help you join Michigan Engineering. We know the process can feel complicated, but you’ve got this. Please ask for help at any point along the way. 

Tip: Get your application in before the deadline! 

Applying early gives us time to respond to your questions and puts you in a great position for scholarships. Please visit the undergraduate admissions site for the most up-to-date information about U-M’s application changes.

  • Nov. 1: Early action deadline (first-year students only)
  • Feb. 1: Fall term application deadline

First-year students

If you haven’t attended any institute of higher learning post-high school, you should apply for first-year admission.

First-year requirements

Our admissions criteria are based on the strength of your academic preparation to pursue an engineering degree. The requirements also help assure each student who is accepted has the interest and motivation to be successful.

The application review focuses on:

  • The strength of your college preparatory background, including the degree of difficulty of courses selected (with special emphasis on mathematics and science)
  • The record of academic achievement
  • Special or unique accomplishments
  • ACT or SAT scores, if available
  • TOEFL, MELAB or IELTS results (for international students)

Each application receives a holistic, individualized review. No special class rank, grade point average, test score or other qualification by itself will assure admission. We look beyond grades and test scores to recruit the most dynamic group of students possible. 

Application review process

Paperwork and deadlines

Applying to U-M requires the following items:

  • Completed Common Application including U-M specific questions
  • High school transcript
  • School Report
  • Letter of Recommendation
  • SAT or ACT score, if available and you wish them to be considered
  • Additional items may be needed for international or home-schooled students

Dates and deadlines

  • Oct. 1: FAFSA and CSS Profile open
  • Nov. 1: Early Action deadline
  • Dec. 15: Suggested filing date for FAFSA and CSS Profile
  • Feb 1: Final application deadline for Fall term
  • Mar 31: Deadline for filing FAFSA and CSS Profile

Transfer students

We welcome transfer applicants from community colleges, two and four year colleges and universities. If you’ve attended a college or university after graduating from high school, you are considered a transfer student. 

Transfer requirements

Competitive applicants for transfer admission will have completed prerequisite courses at their current school. You must have at least a 3.0 GPA to be considered for admission. Non-native speakers of English must provide proof of English proficiency.

Students wishing to transfer should complete a series of prerequisite courses. A letter grade of a “C” or better is required. Pass/Fail grades are only accepted if taken in specific semesters outlined by our Pass/Fail Grading Policy (see below).

Departmental credit is not accepted for transfer admission. Using the Transfer Credit Equivalency Database, please ensure that your prerequisite coursework is directly equivalent to the U-M course, and not Departmental credit. For questions, contact [email protected].

Any AP/IB exam credit must meet the U-M guidelines, regardless of whether your current institution granted you exam credit. Prerequisite coursework cannot be filled by placement exams administered at other institutions.

Pass/Fail Grading Policy

Due to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, Pass/Fail grades are accepted for transfer coursework taken from the Winter 2020 term through the Summer 2021 term.

  • P/F grades are not accepted for coursework taken in Fall 2019 or earlier.
  • P/F grades are not accepted for coursework taken in Fall 2021 or later.


  • Calculus I – Math 115
  • Calculus II – Math 116
  • If AP credit was awarded for Calculus I or Calculus I & II, completion of one additional math course is required to fully satisfy the Calculus prerequisite requirement. Suggested additional coursework includes: Calculus III, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra

To request an evaluation of a Math course for transfer credit equivalency, use the LSA Course Equivalency System for Mathematics. Please check the Transfer Credit Equivalency Database before submitting a request as the course may have been evaluated already.

Calculus-based Physics

  • Physics I- Physics 140 and Physics 141 Lab

General College Chemistry

  • Chemistry 130 and Chemistry 125 & 126 Labs


  • Chemistry 210 and Chemistry 211 Lab


  • Engineering 101, C++ preferred, or EECS 183 

English Composition

  • English 125

Transfer credit

Transfer Credit Equivalencies

You can use our course equivalency database to determine the transfer credit you will receive from courses taken at your current school.

  • Courses not included in the course equivalency database will be evaluated during the review of your application.
  • We are only able to pre-approve courses listed on the database.
  • The Transfer Credit Approval Form is only for current, enrolled U-M students who want to take a course at another institution.
  • Credit for AP, IB, A-level exams will be awarded for transfer students on the same basis as incoming first-year students.


The Course Guide and Bulletin outlines what you need to know about transferring to Michigan Engineering as an undergraduate, but here are a few key points:

  • To transfer, a letter grade of “C” or better is required in each course. For information about Pass/Fail grades, please see our Pass/Fail Grading Policy under Transfer Requirements
  • Transfer credit is processed and awarded within 4-6 weeks after we receive your enrollment deposit.
  • You must be able to complete at least 50 credit hours of coursework on the U-M Ann Arbor campus, and a minimum of 30 credit hours of advanced (300-level or higher) technical courses as required by your degree program.
  • Transfer credit is not awarded for placement exams administered at other institutions.
  • You’ll get your transfer credit summary by email. It will show which courses will transfer and which will need evaluation.

Transferring to Computer Science

Students interested in transferring from a 2-year or 4-year institution to U-M to study computer science must choose one of two colleges: Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA), or Engineering (CoE). More CS-specific transfer information.

Dual enrollment

Incoming first-year students who took one or more courses at a college or university while in high school may potentially receive transfer credit. If you’re seeking to transfer credits, please submit an official transcript from your accredited college/university. An official transcript should be mailed to:

Undergraduate Recruitment

153 Chrysler Center

2121 Bonisteel Boulevard

Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2092

If the institution can send it officially electronically, it can be sent to [email protected].  

Please allow 4-6 weeks for your transfer credit to be processed once U-M has received your transcript. For more information regarding engineering transfer credit policies, please see our Transfer Credit Approval Form (TCAF) Guidelines webpage.  

Paperwork and deadlines

  • Completed Common Application including U-M specific questions
  • Final high school transcript with graduation date, or GED
  • Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions, including any dual enrollment or summer coursework
  • List of all current coursework, and future coursework planned to be taken before enrollment at U-M
  • If English is not your first language, an English proficiency exam score is required (TOEFL, IELTS, MET). 
  • Optional items:
    • ACT or SAT exam score
    • Letter of recommendation
    • Resume

Dates and deadlines

  • Oct 1: Application deadline for Winter admission
  • Feb 1: Application deadline for Fall admission

Already a U-M student?

Dual degree: If you’re currently enrolled in another school/college on the Ann Arbor Campus and wish to pursue an additional bachelor’s degree in the College of Engineering, you’re considered a dual degree student.

Cross campus: If you’re already a University of Michigan student in another school or college and want to transfer into Michigan Engineering, you’re a cross campus student.

Combined cross campus:  If you previously transferred from another institution into the University of Michigan, and would now like to transfer into the College of Engineering, you are a combined cross campus student. You’ll need to meet the external transfer requirements.

U-M Flint: If you’re transferring to U-M Ann Arbor from U-M Flint, you are a transfer student, but be sure to take note of our academic partnership with your school.

Beginning in Winter 2024, any student who is admitted to the University of Michigan in Fall 2023 or later with an interest in computer science (CS) will additionally need to be selected for the major in order to declare CS.

Dual degree requirements


Students who began their college career on the Ann Arbor campus will need to have at least a 2.5 GPA to be eligible for the dual degree program and completed the transfer course requirements. If a student started their college career at another school but is now a current student on the Ann Arbor campus, they will need to have at least a 3.0 GPA and completed the transfer course requirements. 

Please reach out to the Office of Recruitment and Admissions via [email protected] and request a Multiple Dependent Degree Program (MDDP) form. We strongly suggest that applicants meet with an academic advisor in the Engineering department that they wish to major in to make sure that this is the right academic path and fit.

Cross campus requirements

Cross-campus transfer students have completed college coursework on the Ann Arbor campus only and have not exceeded 55 credit hours, excluding AP/IB credit and the prerequisite courses. If you are over 55 credit hours, you will need to apply for an exception to college rules.


If you first attended another college or university after high school, transferred to U-M Ann Arbor and now wish to transfer to Michigan Engineering you may be considered a combined cross-campus applicant. Combined cross-campus applicants must meet the admission requirements of external transfer students. If you have questions about whether you may be considered a combined cross-campus applicant, please contact the Office of Recruitment and Admissions.


To be competitive for admission, cross-campus transfer students must complete the following prerequisite courses. You must have at least a 2.5 GPA to be considered for admission. Applicants are welcome to apply with courses in progress, but prerequisites must be completed by the requested term of enrollment.

We require a grade of C or better in all prerequisite courses. Pass/Fail grades are accepted for transfer coursework taken from the Winter 2020 term through the Summer 2021 term. P/F grades are not accepted for Fall 2021 or future terms. 

At least one math course must be completed on the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor campus.

  • Calculus: MATH 115 and MATH 116
  • Physics: PHY 140 and PHY 141
  • Chemistry: CHEM 130/125L/126L or CHEM 210/211L
  • Computing: ENGR 101 or EECS 183
  • English: Any course satisfying the First Year Writing Requirement (FYWR) for LSA is an acceptable substitution for ENGR 100 for transfer students. A list of available courses that meet the FYWR is available through the LSA Course Guide website LSA Course Guide. Below are some examples:
    • CLCIV 101 or 121
    • COMPLIT 122
    • ENGLISH 124 or 125
    • GTBOOKS 191
    • HISTORY 195
    • LHSP 125
    • RCCORE 100
    • SLAVIC 151
    • HONORS 241.001
    • HONORS 241.020
    • HONORS 240.001

About advanced credit and prerequisites

If AP credit was awarded for Calculus I or Calculus I & II, completion of one additional math course is required to fully satisfy the calculus prerequisite requirement. Courses are: MATH 215, MATH 214 (for prospective IOE or CS majors), or MATH 216.

AP or IB credit may satisfy prerequisite requirements for calculus, physics and chemistry, depending on the exam and the score achieved. AP/IB Guidelines to see credit awarded for each exam. 

Paperwork and deadlines

Cross campus paperwork

Cross campus dates and deadlines

  • Oct 1: Application deadline for Winter admission
  • Feb 1: Application deadline for Fall admission

Dual Degree deadlines

Please submit your application at least 4 weeks prior to the term you want to be admitted into.

After the application has been submitted to the Office of Recruitment and Admissions, it will be reviewed by one of the staff members. If an applicant is eligible, the form will be returned with one of the staff member’s signatures. Afterwards, the student will submit the signed form to the College of Engineering’s Registrar’s Office via [email protected].

International students

We welcome international applicants. You’re an international applicant if you meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • Not a U.S. Citizen or permanent U.S. Resident
  • Do not speak English as a native language
  • Attended school outside of the U.S.

The University’s Undergraduate Admissions site can help you prepare your application, including details like:

  • Academic requirements
  • English proficiency requirements
  • Essay guidance
  • Deadlines
  • Visa requirements

U-M-Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) Joint Institute

The UM-SJTU Joint Institute gives select students from Shanghai Jiao Tong University  an opportunity to transfer to University of Michigan College of Engineering.


Prerequisites for SJTU students

The following JI courses are necessary to satisfy our admission prerequisite requirements. You must receive a “C” or better in each course, or it will not satisfy prerequisite requirements. Courses taken on a pass/fail basis are not transferable to U-M.

  • VV 156 – Applied Calculus II or Vv 186 – Honors Math II
  • VV 255 – Applied Calculus III or Vv 285 – Honors Math III
  • VV 256 -Applied Calculus IV or Vv 286 – Honors Math IV
  • VC 210 – General Chemistry
  • VC 211 – General Chemistry lab
  • VG 100 – Introduction to Engineering
  • VG 101 – Intro to Comp & Programming
  • VP 140 – General Physics I
  • VP 141 – General Physics Lab I
  • VP 240 – General Physics II
  • VP 241 – General Physics Lab II

Department-specific requirements

Prospective Industrial Operations Engineering (IOE) majors need a linear algebra course equivalent to U-M MATH 214, which is included in the content of the honors math sequence. Students must take all three honors math courses to receive U-M MATH 214 transfer credit.

Prospective Naval Architecture Marine Engineering (NAME) majors are required to complete the following courses, prior to enrollment at U-M:

  • VM 211 – Intro to Solid Mechanics
  • VM 235 – Thermodynamics

In addition, prospective Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering (NAME) majors are strongly encouraged to complete the following course, prior to enrollment at U-M:

  • VM 240 – Intro to Dynamics & Vibration

Choosing a degree

Before you submit your application, you will need to decide which of the 14 undergraduate degree programs interest you.


Steps to apply:

  1. Fill out the online application
  2. Submit additional application materials such as high school transcript, test scores, financial documents, etc.

You must submit your online application and have all required materials in by the deadline, or you will not receive your admissions decision on the scheduled date.

Application deadlines

  • For application deadlines, please talk to your advisor at the SJTU.
  • Prospective applicants should begin planning to apply no later than fall of sophomore year. Allow plenty of time to allow your TOEFL, MELAB or IELTS scores to reach office. If you think you’ll take English tests more than once, start planning even sooner.

Required application materials

  • The Common Application and U-M transfer supplement
  • Students applying as part of the dual degree program are eligible for an application fee waiver. A student that is not part of the dual degree program is responsible for paying the application fee. To request a Common Application fee waiver, on the “Payments” page, choose Payment Method = Other Fee Waiver Request.

Materials to submit to liaison

The rest of the required materials should be given to your JI-SJTU liaison, who will send all applicant materials to us:

  • Official JI transcript
  • Official high school or secondary school transcript, or attested copy
  • Financial Resources Statement
  • Financial backing documents, in English or accompanied by an English translation
  • Copy of passport photo page

Test scores

  • Official results of ACT or SAT test – optional if available, but not required
  • Official TOEFL, MELAB, or IELTS test scores – required for non-native speakers of English
  • AP scores from College Board – if applicable
  • IB transcript from IB Office – if applicable
  • Certified copy of A-level results – if applicable

Transfer supplement instructions

  • Students must choose University of Michigan College of Engineering in the Plan of Study field.
  • If you would like to indicate optional areas of interest, you can enter them in the transfer supplement. The information may be used in the review of your application. These fields are not required.
  • Program of Study is the degree program you are applying for.
  • An uploaded resume is required.
  • College official’s report is not required.
  • Instructor evaluation is not required.
  • Secondary school report is not required.
  • Mid-term report is not required.

Additional materials not required

  • The Common Application College Official’s report
  • The Common Application Instructor Evaluation
  • The Common Application Secondary School Report
  • The Common Application Mid-Term Report
  • Letters of recommendation – accepted, but not required

Choosing a degree

Before you submit your application, you will need to decide which of the 14 undergraduate degree programs interest you.