Serving our community
The best mix of talent achieves the greatest outcomes.
People with different skills, backgrounds, identities and perspectives are necessary for us to realize our vision. We’re proud of the fact that women now hold approximately half of our academic leadership positions — progress we know will have positive ripple effects.
We work to create opportunities for all, and where barriers exist we close the gaps. Every member of our community gets to be heard, should be involved and must be empowered to achieve to their full potential.
Office of the Dean
The Office of the Dean is responsible for the leadership and administration of the Michigan Engineering community, supporting faculty, students and staff as they pursue their programs in education, research and service.
Department chairs & program directors
Robert J. Vlasic Dean of Engineering Position
The University of Michigan is currently undergoing a search for the new Robert J. Vlasic Dean of Engineering. A search advisory committee has been assembled.
College of Engineering Dean Search Committee
- Elizabeth A. Holm, Chair, Richard F. and Eleanor A. Towner Professor of Engineering, Professor and Chair of Materials Science and Engineering, College of Engineering
- Matt Blank, Student Administration Manager, Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Eunshin Byon, Associate Professor of Industrial and Operations Engineering, Associate Professor and Richard Wilson Faculty Scholar
- Cindy Chestek, Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering and Medical School, Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and Associate Professor of Robotics, College of Engineering
- Anne Curzan, Geneva Smitherman Collegiate Professor of English Language and Literature, Linguistics and Education, Arthur F Thurnau Professor, Professor of English Language and Literature, Professor of Linguistics, Dean, College of Literature, Science, and the Arts and Professor of Education, Marsal Family School of Education
- Natasha Dacic, Graduate Student, Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering
- Reetuparna Das, Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, College of Engineering
- Carol Flannagan, Research Professor, Director of the Center for the Management of Information for Safe and Sustainable Transportation (CMISST), U of M Transportation Research Institute (UMTRI)
- Kelly Hanson, Academic Program Director of Technical Communication and Lecturer III in Technical Communication, College of Engineering
- Carolyn Kuranz, Director, Center for Laboratory Astrophysics, Associate Professor of Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences, College of Engineering
- Stephane Lafortune, N Harris McClamroch Collegiate Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Sophia Lee, Undergraduate Student, Chemical Engineering
- Joaquim R. R. A. Martins, Pauline M Sherman Collegiate Professor of Aerospace Engineering, Professor of Aerospace Engineering and Professor of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, College of Engineering
- Lyonel Milton, Interim Executive Director for Culture, Community and Equity, College of Engineering
- Chinedum Okwudire, Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Associate Professor of Integrative Systems and Design, Miller Faculty Scholar, and Special Assistant to the Dean for Manufacturing, College of Engineering
- Jing Sun, Michael G Parsons Collegiate Professor of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, Professor of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and Professor of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering
- Tia Sutton Sysounthorn, Alumna, Aerospace Engineering
- Alan Taub, Robert H Lurie Professor of Engineering, Professor of Materials Science and Engineering, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Professor of Macromolecular Science and Engineering and Director of the Electric Vehicle (EV) Center, College of Engineering
About this gift
Robert Vlasic was a distinguished civic leader who earned his bachelor’s degree in industrial and mechanical engineering from U-M in 1949, where he was a member of Tau Beta Pi. After college, he worked in the Detroit food distribution business founded by his father. He assumed leadership of Vlasic Foods Co. in 1963 when it was still a small, local Michigan pickle producer. By 1978, the business had grown to $100 million and ranked number one in the nation, when it was sold to Campbell Soup Co. Bob served as a director of Campbell Soup Co. and retired as chair in 1996. He founded O/E Automation, Inc., based in Troy, Mich. His 1996 gift to U-M established the endowed position known as the Robert J. Vlasic Dean of Engineering. It was the first endowed deanship in any U-M school or college.