You Can Make a Difference
Your connection to the Michigan Engineering community doesn’t end when you graduate — it expands.
As a Michigan Engineering alum, you’ve gained years of career experience, insight and expertise that no one else can match. That experience is incredibly valuable to our current students, and the Michigan Engineering Alumni Volunteer program gives you the power to share it.
Whether you can spare an hour a week, if you’re on-campus or on the other side of the world, you can meet other alumni, and most importantly, make a difference in the lives of Michigan Engineering students.
Be a Mentor
Being a mentor is a great way to obtain career related advice or serve as a network resource to others. To serve as a volunteer career mentor to students, alumni or peer employers, visit Engineering Careers by Symplicity advisor registration to complete your profile. Once complete, your profile will be visible in the network and you may start receiving mentoring requests.
To participate in the network as a mentee and connect with students, alumni or peer employer contacts, log into your Engineering Careers by Symplicity account and select “Professional Network” in the top toolbar. The Professional Network is currently being established, so please check back often as mentors continue to join the network.
Types of Volunteer Opportunities
- Mentor students in-person or virtually (view the video)
- Conducting mock job interviews
- Offering technical expertise and guidance to student groups or teams
- Judging and providing feedback on student design projects
- Sharing your knowledge and experience as a special lecturer
- Providing helpful feedback on resumés
- Creating networking opportunities with prospective employers
- Help students decide their major – participate in career discussion panels
- Michigan Engineering-Wide | 30 Minute Mentoring
- Department Specific Undergraduate Mentoring
- Department Specific Graduate Mentoring
- Design Reviews | Project Judging
- Major Decisions | Career Panels | Career Fairs
- Guest Speaking
- Mentorships | Ongoing with individual students
- Mock Interviews
- Resumé Help
- Student Groups & Teams
- Recruit Graduate Students
- Finding Interns/Hiring
- Community Outreach Teams
- Event Support
Questions? Email us at CoE-Volunteers@umich.edu