How to Apply

The college application process takes time and effort — and a lot of information. Even once a decision is made to apply to a school, the process for doing so can be daunting. Let us demystify the experience.

Application Deadlines

The Paperwork

Cross-campus students (except those from U-M Flint or U-M Dearborn) application instructions

International transfer student application instructions

Application materials required

  • The Common Application and U-M Transfer supplement OR The Coalition Application
  • Application fee, if required
  • Official college transcripts from all institutions attended
  • Final High school transcript or GED
  • AP/IB test scores sent electronically from College Board- if applicable

Note: If you don’t have an advisor, or are not sure of the information, you can enter in the primary contact information for the school (e.g., admissions office, advising office, records office, etc.) where indicated in the application.

You’ll select your intended plan of study in the Transfer Supplement. Transfer students are admitted to a particular department and are expected to remain in the program they were admitted to, for a minimum of one semester.

Send all transcripts directly to:

University of Michigan
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
515 East Jefferson Street
1220 Student Activities Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316

Transcripts can be sent electronically directly from the issuing institution to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at

Materials not required

  • The Common Application College Official’s report
  • The Common Application Instructor Evaluation
  • The Common Application Secondary School Report
  • The Common Application Mid-Term Report
  • Letters of recommendation – accepted, but not required
  • Resumé (optional)

Test scores

  • Official TOEFL, MELAB, or IELTS test scores – required for non-native speakers of English
  • AP scores from College Board – if applicable
  • IB transcript from IB Office – if applicable
  • Certified copy of A-level results – if applicable

Other requirements

Applicants with college credit from any international College or University may also be asked to supply course descriptions and syllabi in English, or accompanied by an English translation for all college-level coursework in math, science, programming, and English or composition.