Admitted International Transfer Students


You have been selected to be one of the leaders and best, and to help forge the future with breakthrough engineering. As Michigan Engineers, we are prepared to step up and tackle the world’s greatest challenges.


To check your status and accept your admission, you must obtain a U-M uniqname. You will receive an email invitation from the university to set up your uniqname after your enrollment deposit is received. See “Set Up Your Uniqname and Account” for details. Note: UM-Flint and UM-Dearborn students already have a U-M uniqname assigned, which will not change.

To accept your admission into Michigan Engineering, you must pay your $300 Enrollment Deposit. The quickest and most convenient way to pay your deposit is online via Enrollment Connect.

I-20 Documents

Students attending U-M on F-1 status must obtain an I-20. Your I-20 cannot be issued until all documents are received, reviewed and verified. Processing time varies a great deal. Missing documents and inadequate or unacceptable funding are the major sources of delay.

Orientation and Advising

The Office of New Student Programs conducts New Student Orientation programs for all transfer students new to the University of Michigan. Orientation dates for are held for students transferring in both Fall and Winter terms. During orientation, international students in F-1 Visa status will report to the International Center for a mandatory International check-in.

Information about how to register for orientation, available orientation dates, and other transfer resources will be sent to your U-M email account after your enrollment deposit has been received.

The Michigan Engineering Transfer Support (METS) office also provides support to new transfer students during the transition to Michigan Engineering. The METS office is located within the Center for Engineering Diversity and Outreach (CEDO) office.

Transfer Credit

Admitted transfer students must request a final college transcript sent to the Office of Recruitment and Admissions.

Approximately 4-6 weeks after we receive your Enrollment Deposit, you will receive an email in your U-M email account that contains notice of Advanced Credit Standing. After the email has been sent, you can log into Wolverine Access to view the transfer credit posted to your U-M transcript. You will receive the transfer credit email no later than your scheduled orientation date.

If you have questions about your transfer credit after receiving the email notification, please send questions to: Please include your full name, U-M ID, admit term and details of the question.


During New Student Orientation, you will meet with your department academic advisor for assistance with course selection, degree completion requirements and information on how to backpack and register for classes. You will not be permitted to register for classes prior to your scheduled orientation date.

Housing and Financial Aid

Financial Aid is not available to Non-U.S. Citizens, however there are limited scholarship resources for current international students. The Michigan Engineering Scholarship Office and the Office of Financial Aid are your resources for learning about financial aid.

The University Housing Office provides information about both on and off-campus housing for admitted transfer students.

U-M Student Life: International Center

Explore Now

U-M English Language Institute

Learn More

U-M Financial Aid for International Students

Find Out More

Michigan Engineering: Leadership for the Common Good