I-20s are issued to admitted student to Michigan Engineering.
Students attending U-M on F-1 status must provide proof of financial backing for their entire time of study in order to obtain an I-20. Your bank statements and other paperwork must be reviewed and accepted before your I-20 will be issued. Processing time varies a great deal. Missing documents and inadequate or unacceptable funding are the major sources of delay.
Obtaining an I-20
The following documents are required from all students that need an I-20:
- Completed Financial Resources Statement (PDF)
- Financial backing documentation (original, issued by the banking institution, and dated within 1 year at term of enrollment)
- Copy of biological page of passport
Students attending school in the U.S. also need to provide:
- Transfer-In Form – Section A to be completed by student, Section B signed by an international advisor at your current school. The Transfer-In form will be provided upon admission, and should be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 734-936-0740.
- Copy of Current I-20
- Copy of I-94 Card if currently in the U.S.
Send Documents to:
- University of Michigan
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
515 East Jefferson Street
1220 Student Activities Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316
You can use Wolverine Access to check the status of your I-20, confirm receipt of documents, and see if any corrective action is needed by logging into Wolverine Access, choose New and Prospective Student Center, then choose View I-20 or DS-2019 Status. If any documents are missing or if additional information or corrections are required, it will be listed in the Comments section of the View Documents page. If all documents are received, and no comments are listed, we have everything needed to issue the I-20. If all documents have been accepted, processing time is typically 2-3 weeks.
Receiving your I-20
I-20s are issued to admitted students after all documents have been received, reviewed and verified. Processing time varies a great deal. Missing, incomplete or unaccepted financial documents are the primary reasons for delay.
When your I-20 has been issued, you will receive an email notification that contains instructions for creating a shipping request using eShip Global.
- The University to choose in eShip Global is: University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
- The Department to choose in eShip Global is: Office of Undergraduate Admissions
- Do not create a shipping request in eShip Global until you receive the email that your I-20 has been issued.
I-20s are not sent through U.S.P.S. (regular mail), but you can pick up in person with a photo ID at the Office of Recruitment and Admissions.
Students seeking F-1 Visa status must submit the Financial Resources Statement, financial backing documents, and a copy of passport photo page. NOTE: JI Dual Degree students are required to submit all the required documents when applying.
How Financial Materials are Reviewed
- All financial documents must be in original form and/or copies certified by the issuer. Financial documents must be in English, or accompanied by an official English translation.
- Financial documents must be dated within 1 year at the time of enrollment.
- Financial backing documents with foreign currencies will be converted at the current exchange rate. Conversion amount to US dollars will be based on date materials are reviewed, not the date financial documents were printed or received in our office.
- The Certification of Financial Support section of the Financial Resources Statement (FRS) must be signed by student and sponsor.
- The sponsor that signs the Certification of Financial Support section of Financial Resources Statement must match the account holder name on accompanying financial documents.
- Biographical data in Wolverine Access, such as birth date and name must match biographical data on passport.
- Passport must be current and dated within 6 months, based on the time financial materials are reviewed.
- An overseas address must be listed as permanent address in Wolverine Access. Students that do not list an overseas address will be responsible for making any corrections in Wolverine Access before the I-20 can be issued.
- Financial documents must be original documents and issued by the banking institution. Copied, scanned, emailed, or faxed financial documents will not be accepted.
- Must contain the exact amount of holdings, and specify the currency and account holder’s full name
- Savings account bank statement
- Checking account bank statement
- Mature bonds are accepted as long as the certificate matures by the end of first term of enrollment (December 31th for Fall term or April 30th for Winter term)
- Employer letter specifying sponsor’s annual salary
- Account must be easily acceptable and liquid assets
- Tax returns
- Personal or Financial Affidavits of support
- Sponsor insurance or premiums
- Stocks, bonds, equity, or security statements
- Other assets such as investments, property holdings, land, jewelry
- Passports that expire within 6 months
- Financial documents issued more than 1 year ago
- Transfer-In Forms without a Release Date
- Financial Resources Statement with insufficient guarantee of funding
Financial Resources Statement
The Financial Resources Statement contains the estimated cost of attendance for one academic year, or two terms. Tuition and Fees are estimates only and are subject to change. The exact amount of tuition and/or fees will be determined by the Office of the Registrar. Current tuition and fee information for Michigan Engineering can be found on the Office of the Registrar web site.
The Certification of Financial Support section of the Financial Resources Statement must be signed by both student and his or her sponsor. The sponsor name must be in English or accompanied by the English name. If more than one person will providing financial backing, then you must provide Certification of Financial Support pages for each sponsor.