Transfer Credit Guidelines

General Guidelines top

Please refer to the Michigan Engineering Bulletin for college rules related to these guidelines.

Residency Requirements: Engineering students must complete at least 50 credit hours of coursework on the U-M Ann Arbor campus and complete a minimum of 30 credit hours of advanced (300-level or higher) technical courses, as required by the degree program, while enrolled in Michigan Engineering. The Michigan Engineering Bulletin describes this requirement.

Degree Requirements: A course can be transferable, but your advisor determines how it fulfills degree requirements. Any questions related to your degree/program requirements must be taken to your program advisor.

Grade requirements: Courses must be taken on a graded basis. A letter grade of C or better must be recorded on an official transcript for credit to be considered. Keep in mind that with external transfer credit, grades do not transfer, only credit hours.

Tuition: Credit is applied to the term the course is taken (or the first active term of enrollment). Take note of how your credits will affect your class standing. Upper division tuition is charged to students who have a CTP of 55 or greater. Once credit has been posted to your record, it cannot be removed to adjust tuition.

Removing credits: Students should be aware that receiving transfer, test and/or course credit can have an impact on tuition fees as tuition increases once a student reaches Upper Class Standing (55 credit hours or more.) Students are responsible for reviewing their transcript when credits are posted. Credits can be removed no later than the end of the semester in which the student reaches Upper Level tuition.

Students cannot request that courses taken at U-M Ann Arbor at another college/school, such as LSA, be removed from their engineering transcript upon transferring. Note that credit is always posted for the term in which it was earned, not the term in which it was posted; the posting of credit can therefore have a retroactive impact on tuition owed. Current students should carefully consider this issue before asking for credit to be posted on their transcript.

It is highly recommended that students consult with their academic advisor prior to requesting the removal of transfer test and/or course credit. To request credit removal, students should email directly including in the request their UMID, specifying which transfer credit should be removed, and including a statement acknowledging that once credit is removed from their transcript it will not be reposted.

External Course Credit top

Completed coursework from another institution

Dual Enrollment – High school students who dually enroll for courses at accredited institutions of higher education may receive credit for work taken at these institutions for courses that have been recognized for transfer to the University of Michigan in accordance with the University’s transfer credit policy. Acceptance of courses and credits deemed suitable for transfer to the University of Michigan is determined by faculty in the department, school or college responsible for instruction in the subject area. Among factors influencing the determination of acceptability are:

  • Accreditation status
  • Comparable academic quality
  • The relationship of the course to other course offerings in the primary administrative unit and other academic units at the University of Michigan
  • The basis for student performance evaluation in the course

For more information regarding engineering dual enrollment policies, please see our Dual Enrollment page.

Home schooled students completing coursework at a college or university may be awarded transfer credit. To be considered for transfer credit, home schooled students should follow the same procedure as dual enrollment credit.

Online / Distance Learning Coursework: Online course credit is limited to a maximum of 12 credit hours per student. A Michigan Engineering student seeking to take an online course must submit a Transfer Credit Approval Form prior to enrolling in the course. Please note that online CHEM, ECON, EECS, MECHENG, MATH, PHYSICS, and SPANISH courses do not transfer.

In general these are courses that do not transfer: Any internship, co-op, practicum, life experience courses, Independent Study, pass/fail classes, courses receiving a grade of “C-” or below, physical education/personal wellness courses, welding, CAD, drafting, graphics, robotics, pre-engineering courses, computer operation courses such as Microsoft applications, precalculus courses below Calculus I such as trigonometry and geometry, and non-calculus based general/introductory Physics courses. Also, not transferable are any courses taken online in the subject areas of CHEM, ECON, EECS, MECHENG, MATH, PHYSICS, and SPANISH.

Transferring/Posting External Credit: After completing a course(s) for which you wish to receive transfer credit, we need to receive an official transcript from the institution in order to officially post credit on your engineering transcript. Please contact the external institutions registrar’s office if you are not familiar with how to make this request. The course should be completed, so that a grade(s) are indicated on the transcript. Please have an official college/university transcript sent to Michigan Engineering Recruitment & Admissions office. The address is:

Michigan Engineering Recruitment & Admissions
153 Chrysler Center
2121 Bonisteel Boulevard
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2092

If the institution can send it electronically, it can be sent to

Processing time: All students should note that it can take 4-6 weeks for transfer credit to be processed and posted. Check your transcripts in Wolverine after about 2 weeks since you submitted your official transcript. Email with your UM ID number if you don’t see the credits posted after 6 weeks.

Test Credit Guidelines top

Advanced Placement (AP): AP Credit is awarded according to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions AP Guidelines.

When viewing the AP Guidlines page, there are only a few AP Guidelines listed specifically for Michigan Engineering (Math, Physics, Chemistry, & Computer Science). Michigan Engineering uses the same guidelines as the College of Literature, Science & the Arts when posting credit for all of the other AP subject exams not specifically listed under engineering.

If you took an AP exam and did not have scores sent to U-M Ann Arbor, you must contact College Board to send your scores. AP scores must be received directly from the testing agency. Copies of scores are not accepted.

International Baccalaureate (IB): IB Credit is awarded according to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions IB Guidelines. To receive credit for IB examinations, an official transcript must be sent electronically from the IB office (New York, Geneva, or London) directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Students are required to have their IB scores submitted electronically via the exam board. Student copies are not accepted. Contact the International Baccalaureate Organization to submit scores to the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor electronically.

International Advanced Standing Credit (A-level): Advanced standing credit for A-level exams will be granted only for subjects with a grade of C or better. A maximum of 8 credits per subject will be awarded.

Credit is not awarded for O-level exams.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP): The faculty at U-M will not accept any of the CLEP general exams. However, if you are a Michigan Engineering student credit can be earned by taking the following CLEP subject exams:

  • General Chemistry: a minimum score of 47 would allow you 3 hours departmental credit (CHEM 101x)
  • General/Introductory Psychology: a minimum score of 47 would allow you 4 hours of Introductory Psychology credit (PSYCH 111)
  • Human Growth and Development: a minimum score of 45 would allow you 3 hours of Psychology departmental credit (PSYCH 101x)
  • Introductory Sociology: a minimum score of 47 would allow you 4 hours of Introductory Sociology credit (SOC 100)

Note that only the objective test needs to be taken. The test score must come on an official CLEP score report from the testing agency. U-M is NOT a testing center for any CLEP exams. Similar to AP exams, the four CLEP exams outlined above must be taken before entering college in order to qualify.

Placement Examinations: No credit is granted for Math and Chemistry placement exams given during orientation. No credit is granted for placement exams administered at other institutions.

Guest/Out-of-Residence Credit top

The Transfer Credit Approval Form (TCAF) is designed for current Michigan Engineering students to have courses pre-approved before their enrollment as a guest student at another college/university.

You will need to submit a TCAF if one (or more) of the following statements is true:

  • You intend to take a course online (even if it is listed on the Course Equivalency Database)
  • You have checked the Course Equivalency Database and the course(s) you wish to enroll in are not listed
  • You are planning a study abroad experience, but not through the University of Michigan
  • You are planning a semester study abroad experience through International Programs in Engineering (IPE).

Note: If you are participating in a study abroad program, please contact your study abroad advisor for assistance in locating and or obtaining course information.
Michigan Uniform Guest Application (PDF) will serve as your application for admission as a guest student at a Michigan college or university. All prospective students should check with the Guest Institution to determine if additional requirements are required for admission or enrollment.

Transfer Credit Approval Procedure top

Find out more about the procedure to have your transfer credit approved. If you have questions about the process, you may also send email to

Prospective Transfer Students

Are you a prospective transfer student interested in admissions information?

Official transcripts should be sent to:

Michigan Engineering
Recruitment and Admissions
153 Chrysler Center
2121 Bonisteel Boulevard
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2092