Director of Partnerships
Outreach and Retentiondebmitch@umich.edu
Fill out our Graduate Student Inquiry form and help us stay in touch.
Michigan Engineering offers several types of graduate degrees and certificates to help you meet a range of professional and academic goals.
Master of Science (MS): Traditional master’s degree for students coming from non-engineering bachelor’s programs. May or may not lead to PhD. Requirements vary by program.
Master of Science in Engineering (MSE): Traditional master’s degree for students who earned a Bachelor of Science in Engineering. Requirements vary by program.
Master of Engineering (MEng): Practice-oriented program designed for both recent and experienced engineering graduates. Details in Michigan Engineering Course Guide and Bulletin.
- Typically 30 credits
- Complete in as little as 12 months (full-time), or two to five years (part-time).
- Several online degrees available
Sequential Undergraduate/Graduate Studies (SUGS): Allows students to complete an undergraduate and Master’s degree in five years.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD): Full-time five-year research-based program. Develops skills that apply to careers both inside and outside academia. Michigan Engineering provides all PhD students with a tuition waiver, stipend and health insurance.
Doctor of Engineering in Manufacturing (DEng): Graduate professional degree for students who have already earned both a bachelor’s degree in engineering and a master’s degree in any engineering or business discipline. Details in Michigan Engineering Course Guide and Bulletin.
Dual Degree, Joint Degree & Certificate Programs top
- Michigan Engineering & Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy: Masters of Public Policy (MPP)
- Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy: Science, Technology, and Public Policy (STPP) Graduate Certificate Program
- Michigan Engineering & School of Natural Resources and Environment: Engineering Sustainable Systems: Master’s
- Risk Science Center: Graduate Certificate in Risk Science and Human Health
- Michigan Institute for Computational Discovery (MICDE): Rackham Graduate Certificate in Computational Discovery and Engineering (CDE)
- Michigan Institute for Data Science (MIDAS): Graduate Certificate in Data Science
- Michigan Institute for Plasma Science & Engineering: Graduate Certificate in Plasma Science and Engineering
- Rackham & Center for Research on Learning and Teaching: Engineering Education Research Programs
- Weinberg Institute for Cognitive Science: Graduate Certificate in Cognitive Science
Master's vs. Doctorate top
- Apply to a master’s program if you plan to end your studies at the master’s level.
- Apply to the PhD program directly if you plan to pursue a PhD. (If you do not currently hold a relevant master’s degree, you’ll earn it during the first two years of the PhD program.)
View the complete list of Michigan Engineering Areas of Specialization.
Online Degrees top
University of Michigan Engineering is proud to be ranked #4 Best Online Graduate Engineering Programs in the country, 2020 USNWR.
Nexus is the hub, center, first connection, and front door to online degrees and professional education at Michigan Engineering for learners and faculty alike.
Nexus offers a limitless learning experience that builds connections to renowned faculty, leading-edge knowledge, and an enthusiastic community of learners in order to share ideas, multiply innovation, and catalyze learning.
No matter your location. No matter your situation. No matter your age. If you’re an alum, an engineering professional, or an organization that wants your team to stay current, motivated, and ready, connect with Nexus.