Fill out our Graduate Student Inquiry form and help us stay in touch.
Michigan Engineering offers several types of graduate degrees and certificates to help you meet a range of professional and academic goals.
Master of Science (MS): Traditional master’s degree for students coming from non-engineering bachelor’s programs. May or may not lead to PhD. Requirements vary by program.
Master of Science in Engineering (MSE): Traditional master’s degree for students who earned a Bachelor of Science in Engineering. Requirements vary by program.
Master of Engineering (MEng): Practice-oriented program designed for both recent and experienced engineering graduates. Details in College of Engineering Course Guide and Bulletin.
- Typically 30 credits
- Complete in as little as 12 months (full-time), or two to five years (part-time).
- Several online degrees available
Sequential Undergraduate/Graduate Studies (SUGS): Allows students to complete an undergraduate and Master’s degree in five years.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD): Full-time five-year research-based program. Develops skills that apply to careers both inside and outside academia. Michigan Engineering provides all PhD students with a tuition waiver, stipend and health insurance.
Doctor of Engineering in Manufacturing (DEng): Graduate professional degree for students who have already earned both a bachelor’s degree in engineering and a master’s degree in any engineering or business discipline. Details in College of Engineering Course Guide and Bulletin.
Dual Degree, Joint Degree & Certificate Programs top
- Michigan Engineering & Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy: Masters of Public Policy (MPP)
- Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy: Science, Technology, and Public Policy (STPP) Graduate Certificate Program
- Michigan Engineering & School of Natural Resources and Environment: Engineering Sustainable Systems: Master’s
- Michigan Engineering & KLA-Tencor: Optical Systems Engineering Certificate
- Risk Science Center: Graduate Certificate in Risk Science and Human Health
- Michigan Institute for Computational Discovery (MICDE): Rackham Graduate Certificate in Computational Discovery and Engineering (CDE)
- Michigan Institute for Data Science (MIDAS): Graduate Certificate in Data Science
- Michigan Institute for Plasma Science & Engineering: Graduate Certificate in Plasma Science and Engineering
- Rackham & Center for Research on Learning and Teaching: Engineering Education Research Programs
- Weinberg Institute for Cognitive Science: Graduate Certificate in Cognitive Science
Masters vs. Doctorate top
- Apply to a master’s program if you plan to end your studies at the master’s level.
- Apply to the PhD program directly if you plan to pursue a PhD (If you do not currently hold a relevant master’s degree, you’ll earn it during the first two years of the PhD program.)