Building Multicultural Engineers
Diverse teams get better results. To grow into the kind of engineer who can adapt in a rapidly changing world, you’ll need to understand how to make the most of the diverse strengths of your team.
We’re proud of how diverse our student body is but we know that we can do better. We’re working to not only enroll more female students and students of color year over year, but also to provide supports that help students feel at home, excel and graduate.
The U-M Spectrum Center paired 55 LGBTQ+ staff and faculty with student mentees.
More than 75 students, faculty and staff took part in 1st Gen Engin mentoring event.
On average, 13% of U-M Engineering students are members of underrepresented minority groups, a number we work hard to improve.
You don’t need to do it alone.
- Engineering Academic Advising has dedicated programs for transfer students and first generation college students.
- The Center for Engineering Diversity and Outreach (CEDO) helps students excel academically, culturally, personally and professionally. Support programs for current students include learning communities, forums, tutoring, research opportunities and social support.
- Graduate Student Programming: includes workshops, lunch and learns, emergency funding, coordinated sponsorship/fellowships.
- Engineering Student Affairs: includes scholarships and fellowships, support for Students with Disabilities.
- Office of the Ombuds: come and talk in confidence about any campus issue, concern, problem, or dispute.
- The Rackham Resolution Office provides a safe and confidential environment to discuss concerns, and advises faculty, postdoctoral fellows, staff, and students on matters related to emergencies, crisis situations, disputes, and student conduct violations.
- The Michigan Engineering C.A.R.E. Center is the central hub to assist engineering students in successfully transitioning through a variety of challenging circumstances, both inside and outside of the classroom.
Engineering Student Organizations: Affinity groups, interest groups, professional organizations.