William R. Martin | Faculty
Professor, Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences
- Consortium for the Advanced Simulation of Light Water Reactors
- Curriculum Vitae
- Expert Profile on SciVal
University of Michigan
PhD Nuclear Engineering ’76
MSE Nuclear Engineering ’75
Bettis Reactor Engineering School
University of Wisconsin
MS Physics ’68
University of Michigan
BSE (with Highest Honors) Engineering Physics ’67
Development of computational methods for particle transport, including neutron, photon, and electron transport. Development and implementation of computational particle transport algorithms on advanced computer architectures. Coupling of neutron and radiation transport to thermal hydraulics and hydrodynamics. Development of improved Monte Carlo methods for analysis of nuclear reactors and coupled neutronic-multiphysics applications.
- Fellow, American Nuclear Society, 1995.
- Outstanding Faculty Award, Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences, April 2002.
- Glenn Murphy Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Profession and Teaching of Nuclear Engineering, American Society for Engineering Education, 1993.
- Royal Society Visiting Scholar, Imperial College, London, 1989.
- 1989-present: Professor of Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences.
- 2004-2010: Chair, Department of Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences.
- 2002-04: Interim Director, Michigan Grid Research and Infrastructure Development (MGRID) Center.
- 2002-04: Director, Center for Advanced Computing (merger of LaSC and CPC).
- 2000-01: Long-term Visiting Staff Member, X Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- 1994-99: Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Engineering.
- 1993-94: Director, Center for Parallel Computing (CPC).
- 1990-94: Chair, Department of Nuclear Engineering.
- 1986-01: Director, Laboratory for Scientific Computation (LaSC).
- 1981-1988, Associate Professor of Nuclear Engineering.
- 1977-1981: Assistant Professor of Nuclear Engineering.
- 1976-77: Principal physicist, Combustion Engineering, Inc.
- 1969-73: Officer, U.S. Navy, Naval Reactors Division, Washington, D.C.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Chair, Board of Visitors, Institute of Computational Engineering and Science, University of Texas (Austin), 2009.
- Chair, Computational Physics and Applied Mathematics Peer Review Committee, LosAlamos National Laboratory, 2010 and 2013.
- Chair, INCITE (Innovative and Novel Computational Impact on Theory and Experiment) Nuclear Physics review panel, Department of Energy, 2009-2011.
- Chair, External Advisory Board, Department of Mechanical, Aerospace, and NuclearEngineering, Rennselaer Polytechnic University, 2008-2012.
- General Chair, M&C Topical Meeting, ANS, Sun Valley, ID, 2013.
- Chair, Nuclear Engineering Capability Review, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 2008.
- Member, Information Science & Technology Capability Review Panel, Los AlamosNational Laboratory, 2014.
- Member, Academic Program Review External Review Team (ERT) for the Department of Nuclear Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2014.
- Member, SMART (Science, Mathematics and Research for Transformation) ScholarshipEvaluation Panel, DoD, American Society for Engineering Education, 2014.
- Member, National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship(NDSEG) Evaluation Panel, American Society for Engineering Education, 2014.
- Member, Engineering & Technology Capability Review Panel, Los Alamos NationalLaboratory, 2014.
- Member, Nuclear Board of Advisors for Science, Engineering and Medicine, FloridaInternational University, 2012-present.
- Member, Visiting Committee, Department of Nuclear Science and Engineering, MIT,2008-present.
- Member, External Advisory Council, Department of Nuclear Engineering, NC StateUniversity, 2012-present.
- Member, Review Committee, Energy Engineering and Systems Analysis (EESA) Directorate at Argonne National Laboratory, University of Chicago, 2011-present.
- Member, Honors and Awards Committee, ANS, 2011-present.
- Member, Phase II Study Committee, Review of the Quality of Science and EngineeringResearch at the National Security Labs, National Research Council, 2012-2013.
- Member, Program Committee, M&C Topical Meeting, ANS, Sun Valley, ID, 2013.
- Member, Review Panel, DOE Office of Nonproliferation and Verification Research andDevelopment, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, 2012.
- Member, External Review Committee for Laboratory-wide Computational Science, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 2011.
- Member, Laboratory Directed Research and Development (LDRD) Initiative ReviewCommittee, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 2010.
- Member, Visiting Committee, Department of Nuclear Engineering, U of Tennessee,2009-2013.
- Member, Nuclear Engineering Capability Review Panel, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 2011.
- Member, Nuclear Science & Technology Peer Review Committee, Idaho National Laboratory, 2008-2012.
- Member, Predictive Science Panel, Lawrence Livermore National Lab, 2009-2010.
- Member, Predictive Science Panel, Los Alamos National Lab, 2008-2009.
(appearing during 1/08 to present)
- Number of refereed archival publications: 7
- Number of refereed conference proceedings: 30
- Number of books: 0 (edited proceedings) Number of chapters in books: 0
- Number of other publications: 22