The strategic objective of our center is to establish and lead college-wide efforts to promote and support cultural diversity. The Center exists to enhance the multicultural experience of students, faculty, and staff on campus as well as key partners in broader community. Awareness of diversity issues is raised through the dissemination of information and promotion of programs addressing multicultural issues. A sense of multicultural community is maintained through collaboration and interaction with departments, individual faculty members, students, and student groups within the college, as well as education and corporate partners across the world.
These programs are therefore especially targeted toward bright students from K-12 schools or social environments that may not have fully prepared them for the University of Michigan experience, or who may face cultural barriers that prevent them from participating to their fullest potential.
- Attract a diverse population of K-12 students to engineering through outreach programs that excite them to the possibilities, and better prepare them and their families for college success.
- Provide access to success for matriculated CoE students through academic programs and resources.
- Create an inclusive environment in the CoE where all students can learn respectful interactions and cross-cultural competencies.
We partner and encourage with CoE units to mainstream diversity into the departments and core college programs/processes. Key vehicles:
- Diversity & Outreach Council
- Corporate involvement
- Department action planning
We provide College-wide visibility of, and advocacy for, the needs of diverse groups and women to give them the opportunity for success.