Contact: Betsy Dodge

Undergraduate Registrar

Michigan Engineering

Student Affairs

(734) 647-7117

145A Chrysler

Open or Close FAQ

How do I know what courses to take?

If you are a new transfer student, you will meet with an advisor during transfer orientation. Your advisor will help you in selecting courses.

Open or Close FAQ

Can I receive credit for Dual Enrollment classes?

Maybe. Please review the information for Dual Enrollment.

Open or Close FAQ

I was just admitted as a transfer student. I need my Transfer Credit Summary. When will I receive it?

When we email your Transfer Credit Summary, it will show which courses will transfer and which will need evaluation. We don't post credit until a student is matriculated and often not until near orientation dates or near beginning of classes for the admitted term. Transfer credit is processed 4-6 weeks after you have been admitted. Make sure to check your U-M email account before sending an email to

Open or Close FAQ

I never received my transfer credit. What should I do?

Verify with the institution (not this office) that an official transcript was sent to the following address:

College of Engineering
Recruitment and Admissions
153 Chrysler Center
2121 Bonisteel Boulevard
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2092

Normal processing for transcripts is 4-6 weeks. Look at your unofficial transcript in Wolverine Access. If you don't see your credit posted, email with your UMID and explain which institution you took which course at and when. We will investigate.

Open or Close FAQ

How long does it take to receive transfer credit?

Transcripts are processed in the order received. As soon as you complete a course, and the grade is recorded, request an official transcript to be sent. Normal processing time is 4-6 weeks.

Open or Close FAQ

How do I know if you received my transcript? Who should I call to make sure?

It takes about 4-6 weeks for transfer credit to be posted after we receive your official transcript. If your credit isn't listed on your U-M transcript after 6 weeks, send an email to: with your name, U-M ID and explanation of the missing credit.

Open or Close FAQ

I just sent my transcript this term. Why were my credits posted to last term?

Credit is posted to the term earned, regardless of when it is reported to Credit Evaluation.

Open or Close FAQ

Why did my tuition increase?

Upper level tuition is charged to students with 55 or more credit hours.

Open or Close FAQ

What is needed to have a course reviewed?

Please provide the following materials in English:

  1. The U-M course you are seeking credit for (what should the course be evaluated as)
  2. Course Description (from external institution's course catalog)
  3. Syllabus (an outline of the course, specify what topics were covered in the course and list of the supplemental materials / textbooks used).

In order to receive transfer credit for EECS courses taken at other institutions, the following information is required in English:

  1. An official explanation of the grading scale is required (if the scale is different than A, B, C, etc.)
  2. The name of the institution and an English web site (if possible). A useful phone and e-mail contact at the institution is also highly desirable.
  3. The number of credit hours given for the class at the institution, the time period (start date to end date for the class), the number and duration of class meetings per week.
  4. A syllabus for the class.
  5. A list of the text book or books including titles, authors, publisher and edition. ISBN numbers are desirable.
  6. As much of the course work as possible (examinations, homework assignments, projects, laboratory assignments, etc.). Course notes are also useful but not essential.

If none of this material is available, the transfer credit will be denied without review.

Course material should be sent electronically as a .pdf (one .pdf per class, multiple courses as one email) to

Open or Close FAQ

When should I send in course materials for evaluation?

Materials should be sent as soon as possible. It is to your advantage to have everything in place before you start your term.

Open or Close FAQ

I think I am missing credit for courses I took at another school. What should I do?

Send an email to that includes your full name (as it appears on your UM record) and your UMID number.

Open or Close FAQ

I want to meet with the credit evaluator to discuss my evaluation. What should I do?

No appointment is necessary. Send an email to: Be sure to include your full name, U-M ID and details of your question.

Open or Close FAQ

I think I should receive more credit than what was awarded. What should I do?

Send an email to: Be sure to include your full name, U-M ID and details of your question.

Open or Close FAQ

I am transferring from another school in the US. What do I do about my I-20?

Please review the information on Admitted Transfer Students web page on how to obtain a School Transfer of your I-20.

Open or Close FAQ

How does cross campus transfer work?

Credits are granted only for transferable courses in which a grade of "C" or better is earned. A "C-" will be accepted only if earned on the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor Campus for courses other than math, science, engineering, or other prerequisites for admission.