Contact: Betsy Dodge

Undergraduate Registrar

Michigan Engineering

Student Affairs

(734) 647-7117

145A Chrysler

Unofficial Transcript

Each student's transcript is the cumulative record of courses elected and grades earned while enrolled at the University of Michigan.

Unless withheld for infringement of rules, an individual may obtain an official copy of his or her transcript from the University Office of the Registrar at no charge. An unofficial copy of the transcript may be obtained through Wolverine Access.

Grade Point Averages

The term grade point average (GPA) and the cumulative GPA are computed for each student at the end of each term and become part of the academic record. The grades are valued per hour of credit as follows:

Letter Grades Honor Points
A+ 4.0
A (excellent) 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B (good) 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C (satisfactory) 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7
E (not passed) 0.0
ED (unofficial drop) 0.0

These items do not affect grade point averages:

  • Pass/Fail
    • P (passed) credit, no honor points
    • F (failed) no credit, no honor points
  • Credit/No Credit
    • CR (credit) credit, no honor points
    • NC (no credit) no credit, no honor points
  • Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory
    • S (satisfactory) credit, no honor points
    • U (unsatisfactory) no credit, no honor points
  • Withdrawal/Drop
    • W (official withdrawal) no credit, no honor points
    • ED (dropped unofficially) no credit, no honor points
      (A notation of ED for a graded election has the same effect on the grade point average as does an E.)
  • Incomplete/Work in Progress
    • I*(incomplete) no credit, no honor points
    • Y*(work in progress for no credit, no honor points, project approved to extend for two successive terms)
      ("Y" can only be used with courses specially approved by College of Engineering Curriculum Committee as "two-term" sequence courses.)
  • Official Audit (VI)
    • VI (Visitor) no credit, no honor points
  • Miscellaneous Notation (NR)
    • NR**(no report) no credit, no honor points

*A notation of "I," if not replaced by a passing grade, lapses to "E" the last day of classes for the next full term and, for graded elections, is computed into the term and cumulative grade point average.

**A notation of "NR" becomes an "ED" and has the same effect on the grade point average as does an "E."

In the remainder of this section of the Bulletin, the term "a grade" applies to any of the grades "A+" through "E."

The grade point average is computed by dividing the grade points (Michigan Honor Points or MHP) by the graded hours attempted (Michigan Semester Hours or MSH).

Grades associated with transfer credit are neither recorded nor used in computing the cumulative average. The only exception to this rule is for courses elected on the Ann Arbor campus (effective November 1986).

Honor Point Deficit Calculator

(Michigan Semester Hours * 2) - Michigan Honor Points = Honor Point Deficit

Use cumulative totals to calculate cumulative deficit; use term totals to calculate term deficit. The result reflects the number of "B" credits needed to raise cumulative or semester GPA above 2.0.

The GPA is figured by dividing Michigan Honor Points (MHP) by Michigan Semester Hours (MSH): 25.6 MHP / 16.00 MSH = 1.600 GPA.

The term honor point deficit is calculated by multiplying MSH by 2 and subtracting MHP: (16.00 MSH x 2 ) - 25.60 MHP = 6.4 honor point deficit.

Thus, this student needs 6.4 credits of "B" grades to raise his/her term GPA above 2.00.

Scholastic Standing

Scholastic Standing Committee

Scholastic Standing Committee
273 Chrysler Center
Phone: (734) 647-7106
Fax: (734) 647-7149

The Scholastic Standing Committee (SSC) is comprised of faculty representatives and academic services staff members. Faculty members are appointed for a three-year term. The SSC studies problems related to, and defines criteria for, scholastic performance. In addition the SSC reviews all petitions within the College, including the Petition for Reinstatement, the Petition for Late Drop, the Petition for Exception to College Rules, and the Petition for Retroactive Term Withdrawal.

Standards Governing Scholastic Standing for Unsatisfactory Performance

All students will be in one of the following classifications:

  • Good Standing: 2.00 GPA or better for both the term and the cumulative average.
  • Probation: a deficiency of up to 10 MHP for the term or cumulative average.
  • Enrollment Withheld: a deficiency of 10 MHP* or above for the term or cumulative average; or the third or greater incidence of probation.
  • Reinstated on Probation: Enrollment Withheld, but reinstated by the Scholastic Standing Committee.
  • Enrollment Withheld Waived: Enrollment Withheld status remains but the petition process is waived because previous reinstatement conditions were met.
  • Mandatory Leave: SSC decision requiring a leave from the College of Engineering based upon unsatisfactory academic performance.  Students will have to petition for reinstatement to return after their required leave has been fulfilled.
  • Dismissal: SSC decision based upon failure to meet the conditions of reinstatement. Student is no longer eligible to enroll in the College of Engineering or petition the Scholastic Standing Committee for reinstatement.

Scholastic standing action will be determined as follows:


When a student has a deficiency between 0 and 10 MHPs for either the term or cumulative GPA, the student is placed on probation. The notation "Probation" will be entered on the unofficial transcript.

A student on probation may continue enrollment, but is required to meet with a program advisor (undeclared students are required to meet with an advisor in the Engineering Advising Center) regarding course selection for the following term. Failure to do so will result in an academic hold on his or her account, preventing enrollment in future terms. Probation is a serious warning that there is a need to improve scholastic performance or further enrollment may be jeopardized.

Enrollment Withheld

A student will have the notation "Enrollment Withheld" placed on his/her transcript and will not be allowed to enroll in classes if: a) on Probation for the third or greater time; or, b) a deficiency of 10 MHP or more in either the term or the cumulative GPA.

When a student is on Enrollment Withheld, the student must submit a petition to the Scholastic Standing Committee (SSC, requesting reinstatement. The student must meet with his/her program advisor to discuss the petition (undeclared students must meet with their advisor in the Engineering Advising Center).  The petition must document the reasons for the unsatisfactory performance, and it needs to offer sufficient and convincing evidence that another opportunity is warranted. If illness has been a factor, students must include supporting information, including a statement (with dates) from their physician. Documentation supporting other contributing factors must also be included.

Reinstatement petitions must be submitted to the Scholastic Standing Committee via the online petition system. Failure to petition the SSC in time and follow the correct procedure will result in a forfeiture of the right to petition for reinstatement for that term and disenrollment from the College.

Students who were enrolled in the previous term must submit their reinstatement petitions in accordance with the following deadlines:

Fall Term 2015 July 1, 2015
Winter Term 2016 January 6, 2016 
Spring Term 2016 May 8, 2016
Summer Term 2016    July 13, 2016
Fall Term 2016 July 1, 2016

Students returning after time away from the College must submit their reinstatement petitions in accordance with the following deadlines:

Fall Term 2015 July 1, 2015
Winter Term 2016 November 1, 2015
Spring Term 2016 March 1, 2016
Summer Term 2016 May 1, 2016
Fall Term 2016 July 1, 2016

Reinstatement petitions will not be accepted after the deadline.

It is the policy of the College and the SSC not to reinstate students with 128 credit hours solely for the purpose of improving their grade point average or removing an honor point deficiency to meet the 2.0 cumulative grade point average requirement for the baccalaureate (B.S.E.) degree requirements.

Students seeking reinstatement may be required to meet the SSC, where two committee members hear the student's case. The Committee will either approve the student's reinstatement, or require a permanent or temporary dismissal. When a student is reinstated, he or she is required to sign a contract that states the conditions he or she must meet in order to continue in future terms.

Reinstated students are not permitted to register for future terms unless they can demonstrate they have met their conditions of reinstatement. Students must wait until grades are posted or complete a progress report, before early registration, available on the web. The Progress Report must be submitted to the SSC, 129 Chrysler Center, once completed.

Questions, appointments and petition forms are handled by the SSC, 129 Chrysler Center, (734) 647-7106. All petitions are available online at It is recommended that you submit petitions and documentation via the online petition tool.

Students who are not reinstated will be placed on suspension and disenrolled.

Mandatory Leaves

Two (2) Enrollment Withheld (EW) notations require a student to take a leave from the College of Engineering for one (1) full term (Fall or Winter).* A student may also be required to take a mandatory leave with less than two EW notations if they have a very large deficit and/or have issues that need immediate attention.

If a student with two EW's intends to return to the College after the required leave, he/she is required to petition the Scholastic Standing Committee for reinstatement. The deadlines for submitting reinstatement petitions are:

Fall Term 2015 July 1, 2015
Winter Term 2016 November 1, 2015
Spring Term 2016 March 1, 2016
Summer Term 2016 May 1, 2016

*Students receiving their second EW at the end of the Winter term will not be eligible to enroll in the Spring, Summer, Spring-Summer or Fall terms at the University of Michigan.


Permanent dismissal from the College of Engineering is a Scholastic Standing Committee decision based upon a student's failure to meet the conditions of reinstatement. Students are no longer eligible to enroll in or attend the College of Engineering. Students also lose the privilege of petitioning the Scholastic Standing Committee for reinstatement.

C- and D Grades

Credit is generally allowed for a course in which a grade of "C-" or "D" is earned while enrolled in the College of Engineering, but there are restrictions:

  • The "D" level of performance ("D+" or lower) is not considered satisfactory for a course that is a prerequisite for a later-elected course; in this case, the course must be repeated before electing the next course unless waived by the program advisor.
  • A grade of "D+" and lower is not acceptable in any program for Engineering 100, Engineering 101.
  • A grade of "C-" is not a satisfactory level of performance in some programs for any required course.
  • "C-" grades in math, science or introductory engineering courses may negatively impact a student's eligibility to declare a degree program. Please consult the rules for declaring a major.
  • It is the student's responsibility to review course performance with their advisor as soon as the grade is known in order to make any changes that may be necessary in future course elections.

Transfer credit will be granted for courses taken outside the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor campus, provided a grade of "C" or better is earned. Transfer credit will be granted for courses, other than math, science, engineering, or other prerequisites for admission into the College of Engineering, taken in any academic unit at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor campus, provided a grade of "C-" or better is earned.

Students should be aware that some programs limit the number of "C-" grades or require that courses completed with a "C-" or lower grade be repeated. Some programs may have a higher minimum grade requirement for some courses.

E Grades

Neither credit nor Michigan Honor Points are granted for a course in which a student earns the grade of "E." A course required by the student's program must be repeated as soon as possible.


When a student is prevented by illness, or by any other cause beyond the student's control, from taking an examination or from completing any part of a course, or if credit in a course is temporarily withheld for good reason, the mark "I" may be reported to indicate the course has not been completed. This mark should be used only when there is a good probability that the student can complete the course. The instructor and student should mutually understand the reasons for the "I" mark and agree on methods and timeline for completing the work.

No qualifying grade will be recorded on the student's academic record. The "I" mark will not be used in computing either the term or cumulative grade point averages. Scholastic standing at the end of any term is determined on the basis of work graded as "A+" through "E," or "ED."

The required work may be completed and the grade submitted by the instructor whether or not the student is enrolled in the subsequent term. The student should plan to complete the work as soon as possible. To secure credit, the required work must be completed by the end of the first full term (not including Spring or Summer terms) in which the student is enrolled after the term in which the "I" mark was recorded. It is the student's responsibility to remind the instructor to submit a grade report through the grading system in Wolverine Access when the work is completed.  If the final grade is not reported by the last day of classes, the University Registrar will automatically change the "I" to an "ILE."  Incomplete extensions must be arranged with the instructor.  Forms are available at the College Registrar's Office, 145A Chrysler Center.

Any grade changes made to the student record as a result of Incompletes either being completed or lapsed will result in reevaluation of a student's academic record by the Scholastic Standing Committee and may result in changes to their academic standing.

Other Irregularities

Irregularities associated with a failure to submit changes in academic status are identified on the student's transcript by an appropriate designation such as "ED" (unofficial drop) or "NR" (no report). "NR" (no reports) are automatically converted to "ED" when entered into the grading system in Wolverine Access. An unofficial drop will be considered the same as an "E" in computing the term and cumulative averages and will affect the scholastic standing.

Repeating Courses

For "C-," "D" and "E" grades, see above. Except as provided for grades "C-" through "D-," a student may not repeat a course he or she has already passed. In exceptional cases, this rule may be waived by the student's program advisor (for undeclared students, the Director of the Engineering Advising Center) after consultation with the department of instruction involved. If the rule is waived, the course and grade will appear on the transcript, but no additional credit or Michigan Honor Points (MHPs) will be granted.

A student repeating a course in which a "C-" through "D-" was previously earned will receive MHPs but no additional credit. All attempts at a course are used in computing the overall grade point average.

Academic Honors and Awards

The Dean's List (College of Engineering)

Students pursuing an undergraduate degree who elect courses and complete a minimum of 12 credit hours with grades (6 for a half Spring or Summer term) and earn a 3.50 GPA term average or better, attain the distinction of the Dean's List for the term.

University Honors (University of Michigan)

Students who earn a minimum of 14 credits in courses which include 12 credits elected on a graded basis ("A" through "E"), and who earn a 3.5 grade point average are eligible for University Honors. This Honor will be awarded each full term of classes (Fall & Winter terms). This distinction is posted on a student's transcript by the University of Michigan Registrar's Office. Students who receive this honor for two consecutive terms will be invited to attend the annual Honors Convocation.

James B. Angell Scholars (University of Michigan)

James B. Angell Scholars are students who earn all "A+," "A," or "A-" grades for two or more consecutive terms based on a minimum of 14 credits earned in courses which include 12 credits earned on a graded ("A"-"E" basis elected each term); all other grades must be "P," "S," or "CR". Terms of fewer than 14 credits completed with grades of "A+," "A," "A-," "P," "S," or "CR" enable a student to maintain standing as an Angell Scholar. Any other grades earned during a full or half-term make a student ineligible for this honor. Angell Scholar Honors are posted on a student's transcript by the University Office of the Registrar, and recipients of this honor are invited to attend the annual Honors Convocation. Angell Scholars are selected and honored annually.

William J. Branstrom Freshman Prize (University of Michigan)

Students in the top five percent of the freshman class are eligible for this honor, administered by the University Registrar's Office, if they have earned at least 14 graded credits at Michigan. A book with an inscribed nameplate is presented to each student. Recipients of this award are invited to attend the annual Honors Convocation.

Marian Sarah Parker Scholars (College of Engineering)

The Marian Sarah Parker Scholars Program is a joint program of the College of Engineering and the U-M Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) Program. The Marian Sarah Parker Scholars Program invites high-achieving women, by Fall Term of their junior year, to participate in a two-year exploration of graduate school. Participation as a Marian Sarah Parker Scholar leads to a greater understanding of the graduate school process by means of seminars, panel discussions, and an academic research project.

Special Awards (College of Engineering)

The College gives special recognition to students with high scholastic achievement, with records of service to the College and its student organizations, or with evidence of extraordinary potential for leadership. Information on qualification requirements can be obtained in the Office of Student Affairs, 143 Chrysler Center.

Society Recognition (College of Engineering)

Distinguished scholarship and service to the College are also recognized by election to a number of honor societies that are listed under "Student Activities and Co-Curricular Opportunities."

Recognition on Diploma (College of Engineering)

A student graduating with at least 45 hours of credit completed, with grades, while enrolled in this College will be recommended for a degree(s) with recognition on the diploma if the student qualifies according to the following:

Grade Point Average Distinction

3.20-3.49......... cum laude
3.50-3.74......... magna cum laude
3.75-4.00......... summa cum laude

Grievances Procedures

Grade Grievances Procedure

If there is justification to question the accuracy of an assigned grade, the student should first pursue the matter with the instructor. The responsibility for the assignment of grades is primarily that of the instructor and should be settled between the student and instructor whenever possible. Further pursuit of a grade grievance should be addressed with the instructor's Department Chair. The final appeal at the College level is by petition to the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education or the Associate Dean for Graduate Education.

Student Grievances

The College of Engineering has a grievance procedure to address student complaints.

Undergraduate and Graduate students should follow these steps until a resolution is achieved:

1. Attempt to resolve the grievance directly with the individual involved (faculty member, staff member, or fellow student).
2. If the matter is unresolved, and the grievance is with a faculty member or teaching assistant, discuss the grievance with the appropriate Department Chair.
3. If the issue is still unresolved, undergraduate students should see the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education and graduate students should see the Associate Dean for Graduate Education who are both located in the Robert H. Lurie Engineering Center.
4. All students have the right to appeal to the Dean of the College if they feel their grievances have not been resolved satisfactorily by another dean.