CEE511: Structural Dynamics
Basic course information
Lectures: Mondays and Wednesdays, 4:00 - 5:30 pm, 2305 G. G. Brown
Instructor: Jerome P. Lynch, 2380 G.G. Brown,
(734) 615-5290, email@example.com.
Office Hours: Monday, 9:00 - 10:00 am, 2380 G. G. Brown
- Dynamics of Structures: Theory and Applications to Earthquake Engineering, A. Chopra (Prentice Hall,4th Edition) - Required
- Dynamics of Structures, J. L. Humar (Balkema, 2002) - Optional
- Elements of Vibration Analysis, L. Meirovitch (McGraw-Hill, 1986) - Optional
- Dynamics of Structures, R. W. Clough and J. Penzien (McGraw-Hill, 1975) - Optional
Homework: Homework will normally be assigned each Monday
and due the following Monday in class (unless otherwise noted). Please note,
late homework will not be accepted. You are allowed to work on the homework in
small groups, but you must write up your own homework to hand in.
Homework will sometimes involve some simple MATLAB programming (no
previous knowledge of MATLAB is necessary). Homework will be graded
on a scale of 100.
- Regular attendance
- Weekly homework assignments
- Midterm exams
- Final exam
Grading: Homework 30%, midterms 40%, final 30%. These
weights are approximate; the instructor reserves the right to change them
later, as needed.
Prerequisites: Exposure to linear algebra and matrices. You should have seen
the following topics: matrices and vectors, (introductory) linear algebra and differential
- CEE512 Theory of Structures or equivalent (recommended but not required)
Catalog description: Dynamic equilibrium of structures. Response of a
single degree of freedom system to dynamic excitation: free vibration, harmonic loads,
pulses and earthquakes. Response spectra. Response of multi-degree of freedom
systems. Seismic behavior of buildings and the basis of seismic building codes.
- [Sept 05-12] Welcome to CEE511 Structural Dynamics
- [Sept 30-12] Midterm #1 (10/8) - allowed to bring one 8.5x11" formula sheet
- [Sept 30-12] No class Wednesday, Oct 10 due to intructor travel
- [Dec 01-12] Final Exam is on Wednesday, Dec 19, 8-10am in 2305 GGB
- [Dec 01-12] You are permitted double-sided 8.5x11" Formula Sheet (no worked problems)