Andrej Lenert | Faculty
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
PhD Mechanical Engineering 2014
SM Mechanical Engineering 2010
University of Iowa
BSE Mechanical Engineering 2008
POSITIONS HELD AT U-M
- Assistant Professor, Chemical Engineering Department 2016-
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Mechanical Engineering, 2014-2016
At the Lenert Lab, we study transport at the nanoscale and apply this knowledge to develop tailored materials for system-level improvements in power generation, energy storage, thermal management and desalination. Here are several avenues of our ongoing research efforts:
- We focus on solar energy systems that utilize the full spectrum of sunlight and are compatible with inexpensive storage such as thermal and chemical.
- We study and develop nanoporous composites with tailored transport properties and control over the spectral content of energy flow for applications in building thermal management.
- We probe fundamental transport at the nanoscale by integrating optical and micro-fabricated platforms with environmental and thermal control.
Our work is multidisciplinary and collaborative. We aim to complement experimental efforts with models in order to complete our understanding and optimize our designs. Ultimately, we aim to help address global challenges at the energy-water nexus by bridging the gap between system level design and mesoscale materials science.
- Y. Kim, A. Lenert, E. Meyhofer, P. Reddy, “Temperature dependence of thermopower in molecular junctions”, Applied Physics Letters, 109, p. 033102, 2016.
- D.M. Bierman, A. Lenert, W.R. Chan, B. Bhatia, I. Celanović, M. Soljačić, E.N. Wang, “Enhanced photovoltaic energy conversion using thermally-based spectral shaping”, Nature Energy, 1(6), p. 16068, 2016
- A. Lenert, Y. Nam, D.M. Bierman, E.N. Wang, "Role of spectral non-idealities in the design of solar thermophotovoltaics", Optics Express, 22(6), p. 1604-1618, 2014.
- V. Rinnerbauer, A. Lenert, D.M. Bierman, Y.X. Yeng, W.R. Chan, R.D. Geil, J.J. Senkevich, J.D. Joannopoulos, E.N. Wang, M. Soljačić, and I. Celanovic, “Metallic photonic crystal absorber-emitter for spectral control in high-temperature solar-thermophotovoltaics”, Advanced Energy Materials, 4(12), 2014.
- A. Lenert, D.M. Bierman, Y. Nam, W.R. Chan, I. Celanović, M. Soljačić, E.N. Wang, “A nanophotonic solar thermophotovoltaic device”, Nature Nanotechnology, 9, p. 126-130, 2014.
- A. Lenert, E.N. Wang, “Optimization of nanofluid volumetric receivers for solar thermal energy conversion”, Solar Energy, 86(1), p. 253-265, 2012.