Applying to the Graduate Program
Graduate students in the Chemical Engineering program are students of the Rackham Graduate School. Our admissions process is handled through Rackham, with decisions made by faculty in the department.
Rackham Graduate School website.
The following application documents are submitted through the online application.
- Statement of Purpose (statement about your academic and research background, your career goals, and how Michigan’s graduate program will help you meet your career and educational objectives).
- Personal Statement (This is not the Academic Statement of Purpose, but a discussion of the personal journey that has led to your decision to seek a graduate degree.)
- Three Letters of Recommendation. We prefer that these be submitted electronically via the online application. Recommendations can also be made by letters sent from recommenders to the department.
- General GRE scores are required.
Submitting your transcripts is a two-step process:
- Applicants will scan and upload an official transcript/academic record that displays the institutional seal and signature of the Registrar or Recorder of Records into the online application.
- Applicants are also required to submit an official transcript/academic record by mail or as an e-transcript to Rackham
Rackham Graduate School
Attn: Transcripts/UMID# (if known) or Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy)
915 E. Washington Street
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1070
Each transcript/academic record submitted to the Rackham Graduate School must include your full name, University of Michigan ID number (UMID) and/or date of birth to match your document to your application.