Printing at CAEN
- Eligible students at the College of Engineering receive 1100 supplemental impressions each full term, for a total printing allocation of 1500 impressions to use on Information and Technology Services (ITS) black & white printers.
- An "impression" is counted as a single side of a sheet of letter-sized paper.
- Additional black & white impressions are charged to student accounts at the ITS rate.
- ITS printers are available in many locations across campus, including all CAEN computer labs.
- Printing allocations are reset on the first day of classes for each full term, according to the academic calendar.
The College of Engineering provides a supplemental black & white printing allocation to eligible student CAEN Account holders each full term. This supplemental allocation is added to the ITS Standard Computing Services printing allocation, and is intended to address the academic needs of Engineering students while ensuring that printing resources are used effectively. Students can use their total printing allocation at ITS printing locations across campus, including in CAEN computer labs, the Duderstadt Center, and ITS Campus Computing Sites. This printing allocation can only be used to print impressions on ITS black & white printers.
Allocations & Costs
All University of Michigan students receive a set of Standard Computing Services from ITS each term, which provides 400 impressions for use on ITS black & white printers. Eligible students at the College of Engineering also receive a College-funded supplemental allocation of 1100 impressions, for a total allocation of 1500 impressions per full term. Each impression printed or copied on an ITS black & white printer is deducted from the total printing allocation. After the total allocation is depleted, if no other allocations are available, charges for additional black & white impressions are applied to student accounts at the ITS rate.
For the Winter 2013 term, the College of Engineering will also be providing eligible student CAEN Account holders with 50 impressions for use on ITS color printers. ITS provides color printers in locations across campus, including several locations with CAEN computers. Due to limitations in the billing system, impressions from ITS color printers are charged as color impressions, regardless of whether or not they actually contain any color.
Documents may still be scanned-to-email free-of-charge on all color printers in CAEN computer labs, where available.
Check Your Printing Usage
Determine how many total impressions you've printed on ITS printers at the ITS Printing Usage web page.
Questions or Problems?
Questions about the supplemental black & white printing allocation should be directed to the CAEN Hotline. For all other printing questions, or to report printer jams, malfunctions or quality problems, contact the ITS Service Center.