What We Do
CAEN offers a comprehensive set of information technology services and resources that are available to all students, faculty, and staff in the College of Engineering. CAEN focuses on supporting the specific requirements of students and faculty in engineering disciplines. Most of these services are provided to CAEN Account holders as allocations of "public goods" without direct usage charges or costs. In some cases, additional service levels over a base allocation are available at an additional cost that reflects the direct costs required to provide the resource.
- Several CAEN services are available college-wide and are offered directly to users. These include:
- The College of Engineering's data network. Wireless Ethernet (Wi-Fi) is available throughout all of the College's North Campus buildings. Wired Ethernet connections are provided in labs, classrooms, offices, and other locations throughout the College.
- The student computing environment. CAEN student computer labs provide well-configured desktop computers with fully integrated software environments, network-accessible home directories for convenient and secure storage of files, and printers with a generous pre-paid print allocation. Remote access to the software environment installed in the computer labs is also available.
- Classroom technology. CAEN supports presentation systems, a lecture recording and web-based viewing system, and room control systems that enable easy and consistent use of these systems in all College classrooms.
- Support and assistance in the use of these information technology services. The CAEN Hotline provides walk-in, telephone, and web-based support. CAEN's Faculty Liaison provides or coordinates one-on-one consulting and other training sessions oriented to faculty and graduate students for their use of CAEN's resources in support of their instructional and research activities.
- CAEN also supports departmental computing in the College of Engineering by offering services in a collaborative fashion to departmental information technology staff. Departmental staff then presents and supports these services in their departments. CAEN's departmental information technology resources and services include:
- A comprehensive software library comprising engineering and productivity applications. The same titles that are available in CAEN student computing labs are also available for use in departments.
- Network-based file storage to support productivity and administrative applications for faculty and staff.
- An information security program that helps departments comply with U-M policies.
- Assistance in using the College's content management system to create and host departmental web sites.
- Assistance in identifying and providing information technology solutions from campus and third-party sources.
- CAEN also provides the information technology infrastructure that supports these services. This infrastructure includes core technology, operational support for CAEN services and installations, and facilities.
- CAEN staff are involved with projects in the College and on campus where their expertise and experience are relevant and useful. CAEN also represents the College in planning at the campus level.
- CAEN works and collaborates with other groups to design or provide information technology services to campus.