Veera Sundararaghavan | Faculty
Prof. Sundararaghavan develops multi-scale computational methods for polycrystalline alloys, fiber reinforced composites, metallic foams and ultra-high temperature ceramics to model the effect of microstructure on the overall deformation, fatigue, failure, thermal transport and oxidation response. Recent packages developed include a fully parallel multiscale deformation simulator for optimization of microstructure-sensitive properties in polycrystalline alloys and a new finite element homogenization approach for modeling oxidative degradation in high temperature fiber reinforced ceramic matrix composites. He has made seminal contributions towards the use of multiscale models for accelerated "microstructure-sensitive design" including development of data mining methods for microstructures and reduced order techniques for graphical visualization of microstructure-process-property relationships.
PhD Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering '07
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society
POSITIONS HELD AT MICHIGAN
Assistant Professor, Department of Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan (Fall 2007-Summer 2013)
Associate Professor, Department of Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan (Fall 2013-present)
Integrated Computational Materials Engineering, Materials-by-design, Computational mechanics, Crystal Plasticity, Atomistic simulations, Materials Informatics and High performance computing.
AE 513: MW 1:00 - 2:30, 1024 FXB
Office Hrs: T 2:00 - 5:00
- Mechanics of Aircraft Structures (AE 215)
- Aircraft and Spacecraft Structures (AE 315)
- Finite element analysis (AE 510)
- Foundations of Solid and Structural Mechanics (AE 513)
- Atomistic modelling of materials (AE 714)
- DTRA Young investigator award (2012)
- NSF Career Award - Mechanics of Materials Program (2010)
- TRW Endowed Automotive Research Award (2009)
- Prof. V. Radhakrishnan Endowment award, Indian Institute of Technology-Madras (2004)
- S. Sun, V. Sundararaghavan, "A hybrid multi-scale model of crystal plasticity for handling stress concentrations", Computational mechanics, submitted, 2013.
- S. Ghosh, V. Sundararaghavan and A.M. Waas, "Analytical construction of isotropic kernels for non-local elasticity using phonon dispersion data", submitted, Preprint, 2013.
- A. Kumar, V. Sundararaghavan, A. Browning, "Thermal Conductivity of cross linked polymers using Molecular Dynamics Simulation", submitted, Preprint, 2013.
- S. Ghosh, A. Kumar, V. Sundararaghavan, A. M. Waas, Non-local modeling of epoxy using an atomistically-informed kernel, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 50(19), pp. 2837-2845, Preprint, 2013.
- A. Kumar and Veera Sundararaghavan, Molecular dynamics simulations of compressive yielding in cross-linked epoxies in the context of Argon theory, Int Journal of Plasticity, 47, pp 111--125 Preprint, 2013.
- S. Sun and Veera Sundararaghavan, A probabilistic crystal plasticity model for modeling grain shape effects based on slip geometry, Acta Materialia, Vol 60, p. 5233-5244 Preprint, 2012.
- Veera Sundararaghavan and A. Kumar, "Probabilistic modeling of microstructure evolution using finite element representation of statistical correlation functions", Int J Plasticity, Vol 30-31, pp. 62-80, 2012.
- Veera Sundararaghavan and A. Waas, "Non-local continuum modeling of carbon nanotubes: physical interpretation of non-local kernels using atomistic simulations", Journal of Mechanics and Physics of Solids,Vol 59(6), pp. 1191-1203, 2011.
- A. Rangarajan, R. J. D'Mello, V. Sundararaghavan and A. M. Waas, Minimization of thermal expansion of symmetric, balanced, angle ply laminates by optimization of fiber path configurations, Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 71(8), pp. 1105-1109, 2011.
- S. Lee and Veera Sundararaghavan, "Multi-scale modeling of moving interface problems with flux and field jumps: Application to oxidative degradation of ceramic matrix composites", Int J Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol 85(6), pp. 784--804, 2011
- Veera Sundararaghavan and K Balasubramaniam, "On the conversion of multifrequency apparent conductivity data to actual conductivity gradients on peened samples", Journal of non destructive testing and evaluation, Vol 10(2), pp. 57--64, 2011
- S. Lee and Veera Sundararaghavan, "Calibration of Nanocrystal Grain Boundary Model Based on Polycrystal Plasticity Using Molecular Dynamics Simulations", Int J Multiscale Comput Engg, Vol 8(5), pp. 509-522, 2010.
- S. Lee and Veera Sundararaghavan, "Multiscale modeling of moving interface problems with flux jumps: Application to solidification", Computational Mechanics, vol. 44(3), pp. 297-307, 2009.
- Veera Sundararaghavan and N. Zabaras, "A statistical learning approach for the design of polycrystalline materials", Statistical Analysis and Data Mining, Vol. 1, Issue 5, pp. 306--321, 2009 (invited paper for the special issue on Materials Informatics: Data-Driven Discovery in Materials Science', Krishna Rajan and Patricio Mendez, edts.).
- Veera Sundararaghavan and N. Zabaras, "A multi-length scale continuum sensitivity analysis for the control of texture-dependent properties in deformation processing", International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 24, pp. 1581-1605, 2008.
- Veera Sundararaghavan and N. Zabaras, "Weighted multi-body expansions for computing stable structures of multi-atom systems", Physical Review B, Vol. 77 (6) pp. 064101-1--064101-10, 2008.
- Veera Sundararaghavan and N. Zabaras, "Linear analysis of texture-property relationships using process-based representations of Rodrigues space" Acta Materialia, Vol. 55, Issue 5, pp. 1573-1587, 2007.
- Veera Sundararaghavan and N. Zabaras, "Design of microstructure-sensitive properties in elasto-viscoplastic polycrystals using multi-scale homogenization" International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 22, pp. 1799-1824, 2006. (Figured in TOP25 articles in ScienceDirect)
- N. Zabaras, V. Sundararaghavan, S Sankaran, "An information theoretic approach for obtaining property PDFs from macro specifications of microstructural uncertainty" TMS letters, Vol 3 , Issue 1, pp.1, 2006.
- Veera Sundararaghavan and N. Zabaras, "On the synergy between texture classification and deformation process sequence selection for the control of texture-dependent properties" Acta Materialia, Vol. 53(4), pp.1015-1027, 2005.
- Veera Sundararaghavan, N. Zabaras, "Classification of three-dimensional microstructures using support vector machines", Computational Materials Science, Vol. 32, pp. 223-239, 2005.
- Veera Sundararaghavan, K. Balasubramaniam, NR. Babu, N. Rajesh," A multi-frequency eddy current inversion method for characterizing conductivity gradients on water jet peened components." NDT&E International Journal. Vol. 38(7), 541-547, 2005. (Figured in TOP25 articles in ScienceDirect)
- Veera Sundararaghavan, N. Zabaras, "A dynamic material library for the representation of single phase polyhedral microstructures", Acta Materialia, Vol. 52/14, pp. 4111-4119, 2004.
- N. Rajesh, V Sundararaghavan, NR. Babu, A novel method for modeling water jet peening, International Journal for Machine tools and Manufacture, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol 44(7-8), 855-863, 2004.