Ilya Kolmanovsky | Faculty
Professor, Aerospace Engineering
Professor Kolmanovsky's research interests include applications of control, estimation and diagnostics to aerospace and automotive systems, and to spacecraft control, propulsion systems and optimal energy management, in particular. He has also been conducting research on control algorithms for enforcing pointwise-in-time state and control constraints (such as imposed by actuator amplitude/rate limits obstacle/debris avoidance requirements and safety limits), and on control/estimation based on nonlinear, stochastic and distributed parameter system models. Professor Kolmanovsky has coauthored over 300 journal and conference publications on these topics. He is a former graduate of the Department of Aerospace Engineering, and has spent close to 15 years at Ford Motor Company Research and Advanced Engineering before re-joining the department. Professor Kolmanovsky is named as an inventor on over 90 United States patents.
University of Michigan
PhD Aerospace Engineering '95. Advisor: Harris McClamroch
MA Applied Mathematics '95
MS Aerospace Engineering '93
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Society of Automotive Engineers
Control of Constrained Systems; Model Predictive Control; Nonlinear Control; Control Applications in Aerospace and Automotive Systems; Spacecraft Control; Modeling and Control of Propulsion Systems.
AE 548 MW 4:30-6:00, 1024 FXB
AE 740 MW 10:30-12:00, 1032 FXB
- AERO 347 - Space Flight Mechanics
- AERO 573 - Spacecraft Dynamics and Control
- AERO 575 - Flight and Trajectory Optimization
- AERO 551 - Nonlinear Systems and Control
- AERO 548 - Astrodynamics
- AERO 740 - Nonlinear and Predictive Control
- 92 United States patents
- SICE Technology Award, 2015
- Best Paper Award of the IEEE International Conference on Cybernetics, 2013
- Technical Achievement Award of Ford Research and Advanced Engineering,2009
- Fellow of IEEE, for contributions to nonlinear control of automotive powertrains, 2007
- Technical Achievement Award of Ford Research and Advanced Engineering, 2004
- Plenary speaker at 2003 American Control Conference
- Eckman Award of American Automatic Control Council for contributions to nonlinear control and for pioneering work in automotive engine control of powertrain systems, 2002
- Outstanding Paper Award of IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 2002
- François-Xavier Bagnoud doctoral fellow (1994-1995)
Refereed Journal Papers and Book Chapters
- C. Petersen, F. Leve, and I.V. Kolmanovsky, "Recovering linear controllability of an underactuated spacecraft by exploiting solar radiation pressure," AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, to appear, 2015.
- Weiss, A., Baldwin, M., Erwin, R.S., Kolmanovsky, I.V., "Model Predictive Control for
spacecraft rendezvous and docking: Strategies for handling constraints and case studies,"IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 1638-1647, June, 2015
- Vermillion, C., Menezes, A., and Kolmanovsky, I.V., “Stable hierarchical Model Predictive Control using an inner loop reference model and lambda-contractive terminal constraint sets, "Automatica, Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 92-99, 2014.
- Weiss, A., Petersen, C., Baldwin, M., Erwin R.S., and Kolmanovsky, I.V., “Safe positively invariant sets for spacecraft obstacle avoidance,” AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 720-732, 2015.
- Filev, D.P., and Kolmanovsky, I.V., “Generalized Markov models for real time modeling of continuous systems,” IEEE Transactions of Fuzzy Systems, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 983-998, August, 2014.
- Vermillion, C., Grunnagle, T., Lim, R., and Kolmanovsky, I.V., "Model-based plant design and hierarchical control of a prototype lighter-than-air wind energy system, with experimental flight test results,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 531-542, 2014.
- Di Cairano, S., Bernardini, D., Bemporad, A., Kolmanovsky, I.V., “A stochastic MPC with learning framework for driver-aware vehicle control, and its application to HEV energy management,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 1018 - 1031, 2014.
- Weiss A., Kolmanovsky, I.V., Bernstein, D.S., and Sanyal, A., “Inertia-free spacecraft attitude control using reaction wheels,” AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 1425-1439, 2013.
- Dextreit, C., and Kolmanovsky, I.V., “Game theory controller for hybrid electric vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 652-663, 2014.
- Starek, J., and Kolmanovsky, I.V., “Nonlinear Model Predictive Control strategy for low thrust spacecraft missions,” Optimal Control, Applications and Methods, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 1–20, 2014.
- Gielen, R.H., Lazar, M., and Kolmanovsky, I.V., “Lyapunov methods for time-invariant delay difference inclusions,” SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 110-132, 2012.
- Di Cairano, S., Park, H., and Kolmanovsky, I.V., “Model predictive control approach to guidance of spacecraft rendezvous and proximity maneuvering,” International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, Vol. 22, No. 12, pp. 1398-1427, 2012.
- Ghaemi, R., Sun, J., and Kolmanovsky, I.V., “Robust control of constrained linear systems with bounded disturbances,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 2683-2688, 2012.
For full publication list, download the PDF