Daniel Inman | Faculty
Daniel J. Inman received his Ph.D. from Michigan State University in Mechanical Engineering in 1980 and is Chair of the Department of Aerospace Engineering at the University of Michigan, as well as the C. L. “Kelly” Johnson Collegiate Professor. Since 1980, he has published eight books (on vibration, energy harvesting, control, statics, and dynamics), eight software manuals, 20 book chapters, over 350 journal papers and 600 proceedings papers, given 62 keynote or plenary lectures, graduated 62 Ph.D. students and supervised more than 75 MS degrees. He works in the area of applying smart structures to solve aerospace engineering problems including energy harvesting, structural health monitoring, vibration suppression and morphing aircraft. He is a Fellow of ASME, AIAA, IIAV and AAM.
Michigan State University
PhD Mechanical Engineering '80
MAT Physics '75
Grand Valley College
BS Physics '70
- National Institute of Aerospace: Fellow
- American Academy of Mechanics: Fellow
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics: Fellow
- International Institute of Acoustics and Vibration: Fellow
- Society of Experimental Mechanics
- Society of Engineering Science
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Fellow
AE 585: TH 4:00 - 5:30, 1109 FXB
Office Hrs: By Appointment (arrange with Gwen Brown, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The ASME 2015 Rayleigh Lecture Award, ASME Noise Control and Acoustics Division , August 2015.
- The AIAA Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Award, January 2014
- Honorary Professorship, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China, awarded October 2009
- The 2009 Structural Health Monitoring Lifetime Achievement Award, awarded September 2009
- The 2009 Dean’s Award for Excellence in Research, Virginia Tech, awarded April 2009
- The Mechanical Engineering Distinguished Alumni Award, Michigan State University, awarded May 2008
- The 2008 ASME/Boeing Structural Materials Best Paper Award, awarded April 2008
- The 2007 ASME J. P. Den Hartog Medal, awarded September 2007
- The 2007 ASME Best Paper Award in Structural Dynamics and Control, awarded March 2007
- The 2007 DeMichele Award of the Society for Experimental Mechanics, awarded February 2007
- The “Benjamin Meaker Visiting Professorship” from the University of Bristol, UK, for visiting during AY
- 2004-05 and lecturing on smart structures, awarded May 2004
- The SPIE 2003 Smart Structures and Materials Lifetime Achievement Award, awarded March 2003
- The 2002 H. C. Pusey Best Paper Award, awarded November 2002
- The 2002 President’s Award for Research Excellence (Virginia Tech), awarded September 2002
- The 2001 Dean’s Award for Excellence in Research (Virginia Tech), awarded May 2001
- ASME AIAA SDM Best Paper Award, awarded April 2001
- The ASME/Boeing Structural Materials Best Paper Award, awarded April 2000
- ASME 2000 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Prize, awarded April 2000
- ASME Distinguished Lecturer, 1995-2004
- Fellow of the National Institute of Aerospace, awarded 2004
- Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, awarded 2002
- Fellow of the International Institute of Acoustics and Vibration (IIAV), awarded 1999
- Fellow of the American Academy of Mechanics, awarded 1997
- Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, awarded 1990
- Presidential Young Investigator, 1984-1989 (awarded by President Ronald Reagan and administered by the National Science Foundation)
- Anderson, M., and Inman, D. J., 2015, “Simplified Fuzzy ARTMAP Network-Based Method for Assessment of Structural Damage Applied to Composite Structures", Journal of Composite Materials, doi: 10.1177/0021998315621964
- Zhou, S., Chen, W., Malakooti, M. H., Cao, J. and Inman, D. J., 2016, “Design and Modeling of a Flexible Longitudinal Zigzag Structure for Enhanced Vibration Energy Harvesting”, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, DOI: 10.1177/1045389X16645862.
- Ling, M. X, Cao, J., Zeng, M., Lin, J., Inman, D. J., 2016 “Enhanced Mathematical Modeling of Displacement Amplification Ratio for Piezoelectric Compliant Mechanisms” Smart Materials and Structures, in page proofs May 2016
- Garcia Cava, D., Trendafilova, I., Inman, D. J., 2016, “A Study on the Vibration-Based Self-Monitoring Capabilities of Nano-Enriched Composite Laminated Beam," Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 25, doi:10.1088/0964-1726/25/4/045011
- Hobeck, J. D., and Inman, D. J., 2016. “Residual Thermal Effects in Macro Fiber Composite Actuators Exposed to Persistent Temperature Cycling”, Applied Physics Letters
- Hobeck, J. D., and Inman, D. J., 2016, “Dual Cantilever Flutter: Experimentally Validated Lumped Parameter Modeling and Numerical Characterization”, Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 61,February 2016, pp. 324–338.
- Barbosa, W. O. V., De Paula, A. S., Savi, M. A., & Inman, D. J. (2015). “Chaos Control Applied To Piezoelectric Vibration-Based Energy Harvesting Systems”, The European Physical Journal Special Topics, 224(14-15), 2787-2801
- Gonzalez-Buelga, A., Clare, L.R., Neild, S.A., Jiang, J.Z. and Inman, D.J., 2015, “An Electromagnetic Inerter-Based Vibration Suppression Device”, Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 24, No. 5, paper 055015, 10 pages. open access
- Gonzalez-Buelga, A., Clare, L.R., Neild, S.A.,. Burrow, S.G., and Inman, D.J., 2015, “An Electromagnetic Vibration Absorber With Harvesting And Tuning. Structural Control and Health Monitoring, Vol. 22, No. 11, 1359–1372.
- Gonzalez-Buelga, A., Lazar, L., Neild, S. A. and Inman, D. J., 2016, “Assessing the Effect of Nonlinearities on the Performance of a Tuned Inerter Damper", Structural Control and Health Monitoring,
- Abdeljaber, O, Avici O. and Inman, D. J., 2016, “Active Vibration Control of Flexible Cantilever Plates Using Piezoelectric Materials and Artificial Neural Networks” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 363, 17 February 2016, pp. 33–53.
- Abdeljaber, O, Avici O. and Inman, D. J., 2016, “Optimization of Chiral Lattice Based Metastructures for Broadband Vibration Suppression Using Genetic Algorithms” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 369, 12 May 2016, Pages 50–62.
- Pankonien, A. M. Faria, C. T. and Inman, D. J., 2015, “Synergistic Smart Morphing Aileron: Experimental Quasi-Static Performance Characterization,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 26 N0. 10, pp. 1179-1190.
- Pankonien, Alexander M., Karthik Duraisamy, Cassio T. Faria, and Daniel J. Inman, 2014, "Synergistic smart morphing aileron: Aero-structural performance analysis." Chapter. doi 10, no. 251, 6.
- Zhou, S., Cao, J., Inman, D. J., Liu, S., Wang, W., and Lin, J., 2015, “Impact-driven high-energy orbits of nonlinear energy harvesters” Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 106, No. 9.
- Avirovik, D., R. Kishore, S. Bressers, D. J. Inman, and S. Priya, 2015, "Miniature Contactless Piezoelectric Wind Turbine." Integrated Ferroelectrics 159, no., pp. 1-13.
- Gonzalez-Buelga, A., Clare, L.R., Cammarano, A., Neild, S. A., Burrow, S. G, and Inman D.J., 2015, “An Electromagnetic Vibration Absorber with Harvesting and Tuning Capabilities”, Structural Control and Health Monitoring, DOI: 10.1002/stc.1748.
- Spak, K.S, Agnes, G.S. and Inman, D. J., 2015, “Modeling Vibration Response and Damping of Cables and Cabled Structures”, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 336, 3 February 2015, Pages 240–256.
- Abdelghani, M., and D.J., "Modal Appropriation for Use with In-Operation Modal Analysis," Shock and Vibration, vol. 2015, Article ID 537030, 5 pages, 2015. doi:10.1155/2015/537030.
- Lee, A. J., Wang,Y. and Inman, D.J., 2014, "Energy harvesting of piezoelectric stack actuator from a shock event." Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 136.1 (2014): 011016.