Anthony Waas | Faculty
Anthony M. Waas, Professor of Aerospace Engineering and Professor of Mechanical Engineering, and Director, Composite Structures Laboratory at the University of Michigan, received his B.Sc. with first class honors from Imperial College, Univ. of London, U.K., in 1982 the M.S. in 1983 and Ph.D. in 1988 with a minor in Applied Mathematics from the California Institute of Technology, all in Aeronautics. He joined the faculty of the Department of Aerospace Engineering at the University of Michigan in 1988, where he was promoted to the rank of Associate Professor in 1994 and Professor in 2000. His current research interests are damage tolerance analysis of composite materials and components made of composite materials, nanocomposites, structural engineering, biomaterials and bioengineering, and structures and mechanical components operating under "hot" conditions. Several of his projects have been funded by NASA and several other US Government agencies and industry.
During his tenure at Michigan, Dr. Waas has been involved in a variety of projects, funded by industry, government agencies, major labs, defense department and private enterprises. In 2006, Dr. Waas was elected as an academic and expert consultant to the NESC (NASA engineering safety committee - super problem resolution team). In addition to these, he has been a consultant to several industries in various capacities.
Dr. Waas has served as a member of the AIAA Structures Technical Committee (1992-1995, 1997-03, 2007-present), the ASME Technical Committee on Instability of Solids and Structures (1995-present), the ASME Technical Committee on Experimental Mechanics (1996-present) and the ASME Structures and Materials Committee (1999-present). He served as the chair of the latter committee (2003-2005). He is currently a member of that committee and serves on the Executive Committee of the Aerospace Division. He is a recipient of the Royal Aeronautical Society Prize of Imperial College (1982), the William Balhaus Prize in Aeronautics at the California Institute of Technology (1988), a Rackham Faculty Fellowship (1990), University of Michigan Aerospace Department Teaching Award (1995), the Society of Automotive Engineers Ralph Teetor Award (1995), the American Academy of Mechanics Junior Award for Research (1997), University of Michigan Aerospace Department Research Award (1998), University of Michigan Aerospace Department Outstanding Accomplishment Award (2001), The David Liddle award for Research Excellence (2006) and an AIAA sustained service award (2006). He is a Fellow of ASME and the AAM, and an Associate Fellow of AIAA. He is a member of the American Society of Composites and the Society of Experimental Mechanics. He has served as an Associate Editor of the AIAA Journal (1995-02) and on the Editorial Advisory Board of the AIAA Journal of Aircraft (1995-00). He is currently on the editorial board of the Journal Composites: B. and serves as an Associate Editor of the Royal Aeronautical Society, UK, Aeronautical Journal, International Journal of Engineering Science and Journal of Applied Mechanics and is on the Editorial Board of Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences, and the Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Materials. He is the Technical Chair of the 49 th AIAA SDM meeting, Chicago, USA.
At the University of Michigan, he served on the Advisory Board in Control of Intercollegiate Athletics (1999-2002), as the chairperson of the College of Engineering Rules Committee (1995-1998), and as chair of the College of Engineering Honors and Awards Committee, 2004. He served as the Aerospace Department Graduate Program Chair (1998-2002) and the Associate Chairperson of the Department (2003-2005). He is currently a member of the Executive Committee of the College of Engineering. He is author or co-author of more than 100 refereed journal papers, and numerous conference papers and presentations.
California Institute of Technology
PhD Aeronautics and Applied Mathematics '88
MS Aeronautics CEE '83
Imperial College, University of London
BSc Aeronautics '82
City and Guilds Institute, London
POSITIONS HELD AT U-M
- Professor Emeritus, Dept. of Aerospace Engieering (2014 - Present)
- Professor, Dept. of Aerospace Engineering (2000-2014)
- Associate Chair, Dept. of Aerospace Engineering (2003-2004)
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Aerospace Engineering (1994-2000)
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Aerospace Engineering (1988-1994)
Mechanics of Aerospace Structures and Materials, Composite Structures, Structural Stability, Biologically inspired Materials, Nanocomposites, and Engineered Materials; damage tolerance and durability assessment of aerospace structures (including experiments and modeling, design and assessment of adhesively bonded joints), design of lightweight actively cooled airframe walls for hypersonic vehicles, the manufacturing and mechanical properties of nanotube reinforced composites and the static and dynamic behavior of textile composites for aerospace and automotive applications.
FALL 2013 TEACHING
AE 513: MW 1:00 - 2:30, 1024 FXB
Office Hrs: T 2:00 - 5:00
- AERO 200 - Intro to Aerospace Engineering
- AERO 301 - Intro to Instrument and Measurement
- AERO 302 - Laboratory II
- AERO 314 - Structural Mechanics I
- AERO 414 - Structural Mechanics II
- AERO 516 - Mechanics of Composites
- AERO 518 - Structural Stability
- Ted Kennedy Family Team Excellence Award for 2011-2012
- Associate Editor, The Aeronautical Journal, Royal Aeronautical Society, UK, 2004-present
- Student Papers Chair, 43rd AIAA SDM Conference, 2003
- Chairperson, ASME Technical Committee on Structures and Materials, 2003-2005
- Associate Editor, AIAA Journal, 1995-2002
- Editorial Board, Composites: B journal, 1991-present
- Editorial Advisory Board, AIAA J. Aircraft, 1993-2000
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics & Astronautics (AIAA)
- Combined Research, Teaching and Service Excellence Award, Department of Aerospace Engineering, 2000
- Research Excellence Award, Department of Aerospace Engineering, 1998
- American Academy of Mechanics Junior Research Award, 1997
- SAE Ralph Teetor Award, 1995
- Teaching Excellence Award, Department of Aerospace Engineering, 1995
- Rackham Graduate School Fellowship, 1990
- William F. Ballhaus Aeronautics Prize, Caltech, 1988
- Special Tuition Fellowship Award, Caltech, 1983-87
- Imperial College Special Scholarships for BSc. Performance, 1979-1982
- Royal Aeronautical Society Prize of Imperial College, UK, 1982
- Beghini A, Bazant ZP, Waas AM, et al. Initial postcritical behavior of sandwich columns with low shear and transverse stiffness, COMPOSITES PART B-ENGINEERING 39 (1): 159-164 2008.
- Song S, Waas AM, Shahwan KW, et al., Braided textile composites under compressive loads: Modeling the response, strength and degradation , COMPOSITES SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY 67 (15-16): 3059-3070 DEC 2007.
- Salas KI, Waas AM, Convective heat transfer in open cell metal foams , JOURNAL OF HEAT TRANSFER-TRANSACTIONS OF THE ASME 129 (9): 1217-1229 SEP 2007.
- Podsiadlo P, Kaushik AK, Arruda EM, A.M. Waas et al., Ultrastrong and stiff layered polymer nanocomposites, SCIENCE 318 (5847): 80-83 OCT 5 2007.
- Gustafson PA, Bizard A, Waas AM, Dimensionless parameters in symmetric double lap joints: An orthotropic solution for thermomechanical loading , INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SOLIDS AND STRUCTURES 44 (17): 5774-5795 AUG 15 2007.
- Mora RJ, Waas AM, Evaluation of the Micropolar elasticity constants for honeycombs, ACTA MECHANICA 192 (1-4): 1-16 2007.
- Waldorff, E., Waas, A., Friedmann, P. and Keidar, M., Characterization of carbon nanotubes produced by arc discharge: Effect of the background pressure," Journal of Applied Physics, 95, 2749, 2004.
- Rakow, J.F. and Waas, A.M. On the effective isotropic moduli of random fibrous composites, platelet composites, and foamed solids, Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, 11 (2): 151-173, Mar.-April 2004.
- Amit Salvi, Anthony M. Waas, Ari Caliskan, Specimen Size Effects In The Off-Axis Compression Test Of Unidirectional Carbon Fiber Tow Composites, Composite Science & Technology, 64, pp83-97, 2004.
- Quek SC, Waas AM, Shahwan KW and Agaram, V. Compressive response and failure of braided textile composites: Part 1 - experiments, Int J. Nonlinear Mech. 39 (4): 635-648, June 2003.
- Quek, S C, A M Waas, K W Shahwan, and V Agaram, Analysis of 2D Flat Triaxial Braided Composites, Int.J. Mechanical Sciences, 45 (6-7): 1077-1096, 2003.